|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the character.|
|“||"When I was a kid, I just wanted people to be happy! So now, I'm gonna do what I should've been doing all along: help people through a new TV show! What about you guys? What are your dreams?"
"Sorry, Alec, but when you're a superhero, even your dreams have to remain a secret."
"Wishmaker" is a Season 4 episode of the series, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. As based on the series' production order specifically, "Wishmaker" is the 18th written and produced episode of Season 4. It is also the 96th written and produced episode of the series, overall.
Marinette is handing out questionnaires to her classmates, which she received from Miss Bustier, who is telling the class that the papers are about filling their study options when school is finished. Chloé openly admits that when she finishes school, she will be rich, since she already is, and mocks Marinette for being a baker girl, which she believes is plain ridiculous. Miss Bustier tells Chloé that people are defined by their choices and what they decide to do with their lives, and that's why she is asking everyone to start defining themselves. Mr. Damocles elaborates by informing the students about the Paris Expo, and it will be held in various locations across the city. During this, Marinette continues to distribute the papers, and she blushes once she reaches Adrien. Marinette next comes to Alya, who asks her if being a superhero counts as a job. Both laughs as Mr. Damocles tells the students they should never let the context impose on their costume, they should choose their own. With this said, he quickly runs out of the classroom and returns as The Owl.
Adrien however, is watching all this eventually looks at the career expo papers sadly, and the scene transitions to his room sometime afterward. Plagg asks Adrien if he wants to continue modeling, but Adrien explains that he only does modeling because of his father's wishes, and he never wondered what he wanted to be if independent. Plagg suggests to Adrien that he could continue being Cat Noir as his full-time job, but Adrien worries that with Ladybug constantly choosing new Miraculous holders, she won't need him anymore. Plagg lets Adrien know that he'll always be there for him, and advice that they could open a cheese shop together. Adrien laughs at Plagg's words and warns him he can't eat cheese if he's trying to sell it. Plagg slightly grunts and wonders if there are jobs to taste cheese, to which Adrien brings up visiting the food trade booths. Ultimately, the two decide to visit the Paris Career Expo.
Meanwhile, Marinette is discussing her complicated life with the Kwamis, and tells them that a job is something that "gives meaning to your life". This confuses the Kwamis, as they ponder across all the different "jobs" Marinette currently has, such as being the Guardian, crafting, or being in life, until Sass tells them to remain silent. Sass then asks Marinette what is the really important thing that will bring meaning to her life. A bewildered Marinette admits that she doesn't know anymore, and Tikki advices her to go and visit a few booths at the Paris Careers Expo, to which Marinette agrees.
Later at Île aux Cygnes, Alec Cataldi is welcoming his audience to a new show he's recording, entitled "You've Gotta Be Kidding". Live at the Paris Careers Expo, he plans to introduce people to the most pointless shops and jobs ever. To start, Alec attempts to humiliate André the ice-cream maker, by making fun of the fact that he constantly moving around Paris, making it hard to find where he is, and the fact that he chooses the ice-cream flavors you eat. Andrè claims that people come to him to share their love and experience of magical moments, but Alec still claims that it's not a real job. After Andrè offers Alec ice-cream flavored with lime for his sourness outside and chocolate cinnamon for his sweet dreams, Alec becomes mortified after receiving the ice cream from André and orders the cameraman to cut the scene. They both walk away, but Marinette, who was witnessing everything in the crowd nearby, asks Andrè how he get to knew making ice cream was his job. Andrè tells Marinette about how years ago, he was in a job that didn't make him happy, but everyday when he came home from work, he would concoct ice-cream flavors that suited his mood. He soon came to the realization that if ice-cream enchanted his daily life, he wondered if his true calling was to enchant others' lives. Andrè then offers Marinette ice-cream flavored with strawberry and cherry "for the indecisive lady", and pistachio and pecan for "the clear sighted young man". Marinette soon realized that the "young man" Andrè wanted Marinette to share his ice-cream with was with Luka, who was standing right behind them. Marinette quickly informs Andrè that she and Luka aren't dating anymore, and they're just friends. Andrè assures them they don't need to be in love to share his ice-cream, and they decide to take it.
Later, Marinette tells Luka that she was surprised to see him here because she thought he already knew what career he's going to have. Luka tells Marinette that he's in charge of his school's booth where shows people about being a maker of stringed instruments. The two arrive at Luka's booth, where guitars, electric guitars, and other stringed instruments are displayed as Marinette looks fascinated, and Luka grabs one of the guitars and asks Marinette why she's here if she wants to be a fashion designer. Marinette confusingly tells Luka that she doesn't know anymore because there are so many careers that interest her in the world of fashion, creation, decoration, and compliments Luka that he's lucky to know what he wants to do. Luka advises Marinette to listen to her inner voice, and shows Marinette the first instrument he made himself which took two years to complete. Luka hands over the guitar to an amazed Marinette, but Alec abruptly comes into the scene and mocks Luka by stating that it would be easier to download a guitar-playing app within seconds, to which he does and masters playing it, and then deems Luka's job as pointless. Luka grabs violin and tells Marinette, Alec and the cameraman to follow him outside to the Île aux Cygnes. There, Luka closes his eyes whilst feeling the breeze as Alec, and his cameraman look at each other in confusion. The cameraman begins to film Luka, who raises his violin in the air to let the wind produce music for it, and explains that "musical instruments fill the space and space fills the instruments".
Alec begins to cry at the seemingly beautiful sight, but then realizes that he's on the air, and once again orders the cameraman to cut the scene. As the frustrated pair storm off, Marinette compliments Luka that he has a gift for finding the right words at the right time. Luka suddenly notices Adrien, who's far from the two, sadly sitting under the tree. Luka alerts Marinette of his presence, Marinette gets nervous and hides behind Luka. Luka asks if she still hasn't told Adrien about her feelings for him and she says she hasn't. Marinette realizes Adrien looks sad and together they decide to go over to talk to him. Luka asks Adrien if something is wrong, he responds by saying he went through every stand in the career expo and still doesn't know what to do with his life and if he doesn't choose his father's will for him. Luka sits next to Adrien, Marinette looks conflicted about who to sit next to, but ultimately chooses to sit next to Luka. Luka turns back to Adrien and tells him he's never thought modeling was truly his passion. Adrien says it was easier that way, he thought he would be happy doing what his father wanted of him, like Luka who wants to be a musician like his father and Marinette who's always known that she wanted to pursue a career in the Fashion Department, each of them says that it's actually way more complicated than it seems, they all emerge in surprise and they laugh. Luka tells them that he doesn't want to be a Rockstar like his dad, he said that music is his nature and not someone he wants to pursue as his career, what he wants is for other people to feel the music. Luka says that he wants to be a stringed instrument maker so that other people can feel it, Adrien smiles, Marinette tells them that she always wants to try new things but she can't manage her priorities properly, she's really mixed up about the careers she wants to try. Adrien says that his father always arranges everything for him and when he thinks about what he wants to be he just can't think straight, his mind is empty. Adrien and Marinette say that the things they would like to try are lost. Luka reminds them that to know who you really are you simply need to learn to listen to their inner melody. Luka listens to Marinette's inner melody and he tells her that all the instruments are playing differents melodies and he understands she is completely lost. Everyone laughs. Then Luka tells Marinette that if she listens more closely, the music of her band is really beautiful, and that she just needs some time to understand it. He then listens to Adrien's music and says that it sounds like it's being muffled by someone else playing a sad piano tune, but his true melody is a happy one. Luka then stands up and grabs his violin and tells Marinette and Adrien that they will eventually find what's in front of them, but they can't hear it clearly and to just let the melody flow. With that, he begins playing the violin. Marinette and Adrien become mesmerized by the music, and they smile at each other.
Meanwhile, at the Île aux Cygnes, Alec continues on his show and is standing in front of a wig booth. He then tries to humiliate the wig seller, unsuccessfully, as the wig seller interjects that a wig is never a disguise, but very revealing. He then takes a wig and puts it on Alec, which causes him to remember a horrible memory from his childhood. He then reveals that he used to have long hair but everyone made fun of him, so he shaved it all off. He then has a breakdown after realizing he has wasted his life on mocking everyday people, just like the people in his childhood, instead of changing it.
Shadow Moth's lair window then opens, sensing Alec's sadness. He then creates an akuma and sends it after him, entering his microphone. Shadow Moth offers Alec the power to make people live their childhood dreams when he touches them. Alec accepts, saying that from now on, he will only be what he wants to be, and transforms into Wishmaker, and begins targeting people and making their childhood dreams come true, even turning Jagged Stone into a crocodile and a man into Santa.
Back in the Île aux Cygnes, Luka continues to play the violin for Marinette and Adrien when suddenly, Jagged as a crocodile appears, to the teens' shock. They then start running, but they are stopped by a giant robot, causing Adrien to run and hide in a tree and Luka to hide Marinette in a portalet, where she secretly transforms into Ladybug. Luka tries to take on the robot, which nearly attacks him, but is saved by Ladybug, who takes him to the expo and thanks her. He then runs back to the portalet to check on Marinette, but she has disappeared. Luka then tries calling her, but Jagged calls for help, drowning in the lake, and Luka rescues him.
Robo Tech then faces off with Ladybug, saying that he always wanted to be Roboto Tech. Ladybug then clarifies that they are not living in a video game. Cat Noir then arrives and makes Robo Tech fall down and power off, then joins Ladybug, adding that he has mistaken dreams from reality. The two heroes witness Wishmaker targeting and transforming a firefighter, who wanted to be a cowboy and fireman at the same time. Wishmaker is about to target another person, but is held back by Ladybug's yo-yo. Wishmaker then yells at her, saying that he only wanted to make people happy. Ladybug once again clarifies that he is doing it against their will and without permission. Wishmaker then retorts by saying that he only wants people to live their dreams. Cat Noir, looking skeptical, points behind him and asks him if that is a dream. The one he's pointing to turns out to be someone as a cucumber, rolling down the road and behind an annoyed Cat Noir. Wishmaker then twirls his staff, sending Ladybug to the ground beside Cat Noir. Wishmaker then starts to attack the two heroes, trying to avoid being hit, as that would reveal their secret identities. Ladybug then reveals her childhood dream to be the Knitting Fairy when she was six, and adds that the Knitting Fairy didn't wear a mask. As she speaks, a jet of light nearly hits her, but she is pulled in time by Cat Noir. The two then launch themselves to the rooftops. Ladybug then asks him what his childhood dream was, and Cat Noir looks away sadly. Ladybug then laughs and says that he's making fun of her but he's too embarrassed to tell her. Wishmaker then launches himself in the air and sends two jets of light towards them, which they dodge. Cat Noir then tells Ladybug that he didn't know what he wanted to be as a kid. Ladybug then jokes about whether he wants to be a magician or a fireman. Ladybug then stops and uses her yo-yo to pull Cat Noir away from an incoming Wishmaker. Wishmaker then keeps hitting them, while Cat Noir objects that he can't remember. Ladybug then tells him he must've forgotten, and pulls Cat Noir to the other side of the wall and the two heroes continue running. Ladybug then adds that if Wishmaker ever hits one of them, they need a second chance, to which Cat Noir suggests Viperion. Ladybug then agrees and urges him to keep fighting while she goes to get Luka. Ladybug then swings away.
At the Île aux Cygnes, Jagged and Luka are lying down, talking. Luka then says that crocodiles know how to swim, to which Jagged replies that he didn't know how to swim when he was a kid. Ladybug then arrives, and Luka immediately gets up, knowing the situation. Ladybug then excuses Luka from Jagged, saying she needs a word with him, to which Jagged replies with a thumbs-up and rock and roll.
Ladybug and Luka land in a rooftop and she hands him the Snake Miraculous. Sass appears, and he and Luka greet each other. Ladybug then tells him to use his power now, in case she or Cat Noir gets hit, he has to come back to the exact moment. Luka then agrees and transforms into Viperion and uses his power. Ladybug then reminds him that no one can know about their secret identities. Viperion says she can count on him, Ladybug smiles and she uses her Lucky Charm, and a dino plushie appears, to her confusion.
Meanwhile, Cat Noir and Wishmaker continue to battle, with the former continuously blocking the latter's attacks. Wishmaker then says that every child has a dream, to which Cat Noir replies maybe not everyone. Wishmaker then tells him that he just needs to get his memory back and that all he needs to do is let him touch him and his childhood dream will be revealed to him. Shadow Moth is impressed, telling Wishmaker to make Cat Noir's dreams come true and show him his true face. Ladybug and Viperion then arrive. Cat Noir nearly gets hit by Wishmaker, but is pulled in time by Viperion. Using her Lucky Vision, Ladybug spots Wishmaker, Viperion and a few people. Ladybug then asks the people if the dino plushie means anything to them, to which they all shake their heads. Just then, Wishmaker releases another shooting star which Viperion deflects, eventually hitting Ladybug causing her to remember her childhood dream. She then transforms into Marinette, dressed in a Knitting Fairy costume, and says that she wanted to be the Knitting Fairy in real life. Viperion is left shocked, as he now knows the reason why Marinette has been keeping secrets from him. Shadow Moth is also left shocked, then he finally shouts in victory at last. Viperion then uses Second Chance, bringing them back to the moment where Ladybug tells Viperion that no one can know about their secret identities. She then calls her Lucky Charm and she receives the dino plushie once more. Viperion then tells her that he already has the first part of the solution. Shadow Moth is then impressed with Wishmaker's suggestion to Cat Noir and tells him to make his dreams come true. Ladybug and Viperion then arrive; the latter tells Cat Noir to duck and runs off with Ladybug towards a man in a red beret. Wishmaker then releases another shooting star, which hits Cat Noir, causing him to remember his childhood dream. He then transforms into Adrien and declares that when he was a kid, he always wanted to be what his parents wanted him to be, to the shock of Viperion and especially Shadow Moth, who is left mortified after discovering Cat Noir was his son all along. The man Ladybug is speaking to then tells her that when he was a kid, he wanted to be in the dino huggie gang. Ladybug then declares that he is the answer to defeating Wishmaker. However, Viperion then apologizes, saying that this isn't the right time and uses his Second Chance once more, going back to the moment he first activated his power. Viperion promises her that wouldn't happen. Ladybug calls on her lucky charm and receives the plushie, confusing her for the third time. Viperion then tells her that the plushie is for the man in the red beret and that his childhood dream was to be a dino huggie. The fight once again commences, and this time Wishmaker releases a shooting star which Viperion deflects to the man in red beret. The man then transforms into the dino huggie and walks toward Wishmaker and hugs him. Ladybug uses the moment to snatch Wishmaker's staff from him and throws it to Cat Noir, who destroys it with his Cataclysm, releasing the akuma and turning Wishmaker back into Alec who is still being crazily hugged by the huge dino huggie. Ladybug then purifies the akuma and restores everything to normal. She then pulls out a magical charm from her yo-yo and gives it to Alec, who thanks her and the heroes do their signature "pound it" fist bump.
Back at the expo, Alec then tells the heroes that when he was a kid, he wanted people to be happy and decides to help people achieve their dreams through a new TV show. He then asks the heroes what their dreams are when Cat Noir's Miraculous suddenly beeps, and Ladybug apologizes to Alec, telling him that as they're superheroes, even their dreams have to remain a secret. The three then bid Alec goodbye and leave. Alec's cameraman then asks him if it is time to roll, to which Alec laughs. Shadow Moth then rants about how he almost unmasked the two heroes, then says that the day will come when he will find a way to make his dream come true as his lair closes.
In an alley, Luka returns the Snake Miraculous to Ladybug, who thanks him due to their secret identities being preserved. She is about to leave when something crosses her mind, and asks Luka if he doesn't know, to which Luka agrees, saying that luckily Wishmaker never hit either her or Cat Noir. Ladybug smiles then leaves. Luka then looks sad, considering he lied about knowing their secret identities.
Ladybug then runs back to the portalet and detransforms into Marinette, who catches Tikki in her hands and hides her in her purse. Luka then goes to the portalet, about to open the door but is opened by Marinette, who thanks him for hiding her inside. Luka then replies that it was nothing, saying that she can always count on him. Adrien then arrives and is relieved to find the two are fine. Luka then agrees, saying it's all thanks to Ladybug and Cat Noir, as Marinette and Adrien look at each other and smile.
Inside Adrien's room, Adrien is looking at a picture of him and his mother, and says that it's okay that he doesn't remember his childhood dream and that it's time to focus on the future and find his inner music, like Luka had said. He then turns to Plagg and asks him what he is doing. Plagg, holding a stethoscope and placing it on top of a quarter-eaten piece of camembert, and wonders what a camembert concerto sounds like. Adrien laughs.
Meanwhile, in Marinette's room, she is still pondering over her list of careers. She then declares that she will do it all: she'll be Ladybug, design clothes, jewelry, furniture, space rockets, be Luka's best friend and love Adrien. Fluff then asks her how she's going to do it all at the same time, to which she replies that she doesn't know... yet. But she declares that she will do it all. Marinette then looks at her computer. Alec is revealed to be now hosting a new show titled, "Live Your Childhood Dream". The end card then appears.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng/Ladybug
- Adrien Agreste/Cat Noir
- Luka Couffaine/Viperion
- Gabriel Agreste/Shadow Moth (Gabriel Agreste pictured/mentioned)
- Alec Cataldi/Wishmaker
- Mr. Damocles/The Owl
- Caline Bustier
- Chloé Bourgeois
- Sabrina Raincomprix (background)
- Mylène Haprèle (background)
- Alix Kubdel (background)
- Lê Chiến Kim (background)
- Max Kanté (background)
- Juleka Couffaine (background)
- Rose Lavillant (background)
- Lila Rossi (background)
- Nathaniel Kurtzberg (background)
- Nino Lahiffe (background)
- Ivan Bruel (background)
- Alya Césaire
- Louis XIV (mentioned)
- Emilie Agreste (pictured)
- Jagged Stone
- Santa Claus
- Fire Captain Hessenpy
- Mr. Banana
- Dino Huggie
- The Knitting Fairy (mentioned, pictured and impersonated by Marinette)
- The Dino Huggie Gang (mentioned)
- Internationally, this episode first premiered in USA on Disney Channel.
- Despite Shadow Moth knowing Luka's secret identity, Ladybug still entrusts him with the Snake Miraculous and decided to get his help because she knew her and Cat Noir's secret identities were at risk.
- It's the fourth time Miraculous related content was aired in the US before being aired in other countries after "Captain Hardrock", "Ikari Gozen", and "Miraculous New York", later being followed by "Ladybug Saves Christmas", "Qilin", and "Risk".
- Alec Cataldi is the fourth person that gets akumatized for the first time in season 4, following Harry Clown, Wang Fu and Zoé Lee.
- It's revealed that Adrien feels sad about Ladybug prioritizing other Miraculous holders over him.
- A place named Île aux Cygnes, which appeared in the comics version, first appears in the series in this episode.
- It's revealed that André used to work at an office before he became an ice cream vendor.
- It's revealed that Luka is a maker of stringed instruments at his school.
- According to Alec, the reason he was bald is because when he was a kid, he had a big afro. But since everyone made fun of him for it, he shaved it all off.
- It's also revealed that this is the main reason why he became a TV host that often mocks others. That is until this episode when he changes and decides to embrace his real dream by helping others make their dreams come true.
- The episode reveals some of the characters' childhood dreams:
- Marinette's childhood dream is being a knitting fairy.
- Adrien's childhood dream is him wanting to be what his parents want him to become.
- A toy vendor's childhood dream is being Santa Claus.
- Jagged Stone's childhood dream is being a crocodile.
- An unknown person's childhood dream is being the Robo Tech Ultimate Destructor.
- Fire Captain Hessenpy's childhood dream is a being a firefighter and a cowboy at the same time.
- Mr. Banana's childhood dream is to be a cucumber.
- The man wearing a red beret's childhood dream is to be a Dino Huggie.
- Second Chance's activation sequence is shortened in this episode, similar to the activation sequence in "Miracle Queen".
- As of this episode, Luka knows the true identities of Ladybug and Cat Noir as well as learns the reason why he and Marinette broke up.
- Luka kept this knowledge of Ladybug and Cat Noir's true identities to himself however, instead of telling Ladybug when she asked if he knew.
- This makes him the third person, post-Wang Fu's amnesia, to know Ladybug's true identity. Alya finds out in "Gang of Secrets" and Su-Han in "Furious Fu". This also makes him the first person ever to know Cat Noir's true identity.
- Unlike Alya, Luka found out Ladybug's true identity instead of her telling him, and as of now, Ladybug herself doesn't know anything about this.
- Luka is also the third member of the French Miraculous superhero team to know Ladybug's identity, following Alya in "Gang of Secrets" and before, Bunnyx in "Cat Blanc".
- Chronologically, however, Luka is the second member to know Ladybug's identity, as Alya comes before him, and Alix has yet to be told of this in the current timeline.
- In Adrien's childhood dream, Emilie has blue eyes instead of green eyes and Gabriel has green eyes instead of blue eyes. Gabriel's hair color is also colored brown in the flashback, despite it being light blonde in season 1 and a family portrait.
- It is not fully known if this is an animation error, but Thomas Astruc said that it didn't matter.
- This marks the second time Shadow Moth finds out Adrien is Cat Noir in a timeline that doesn't exist anymore.
- Shadow Moth's reaction to finding out Cat Noir's true identity differs from the episode "Cat Blanc", where he was more happy than shocked, because he knew how he could use this information to his advantage. Here, it resembles his reaction in "Gorizilla" when he suspected Adrien could be Cat Noir. This left him shocked and unhappy.
- Shadow Moth finding out Ladybug's identity then forgetting it thanks to Viperion foreshadows him learning it again in "Ephemeral".
- This is the second appearance of the "Robo Tech Ultimate Destructor" as seen in "Christmaster".
- In this episode, it's revealed that Luka can play the violin, which was originally teased by Wilfried Pain to a fan.
- The posters and brochures for the career expo are very similar to those of the real life Paris des métiers qui recrutent career expo held on May 16th, 2019.
- Robo Tech Ultimate Destructor is voiced by Jacob Weisz, Ezra Weisz's son, who provides additional background voices in some episodes.
- At the beginning of the episode, Ivan sits in front of Nathaniel in class, blocking the latter, but he isn't visible when Marinette talks to Chloé.
- Ladybug still has her lucky charm object when she used Miraculous Ladybug, despite the fact that the man with the red beret still had it.
- However, it's been shown that Ladybug can seemingly summon her lucky charm from anywhere, as seen in many previous episodes.
- After Luka uses his Second Chance the first time, when Ladybug uses her Lucky Charm and changes to her upgrade form, her shadow remains the one of her normal form.
- The same thing happens at the second time Luka uses Second Chance, but with her shadow being the one of her upgrade form while she is on her normal form.
- Even though Ladybug uses her Lucky Charm first, Cat Noir's ring is the first to time out.
Click here to view the gallery.