|Major Spoiler Warning|
This page contains major spoilers from an episode(s) that has not aired in the US yet.
|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the character.|
"Rocketear" is a Season 4 episode of the series, Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. As based on the series' production order specifically, "Rocketear" is the 17th written and produced episode of Season 4. It is also the 95th written and produced episode of the series, overall.
The episode starts with four dinosaurs, who are kept in Carapace's Shell-ter. One of them tries to break the protective shield. Cat Noir and Carapace are worried about it breaking completely and are waiting for Ladybug to show up. Eventually, Ladybug shows up with Anne-Jeanne Théoxanne du Bocquale who revived the dinosaurs. Ladybug, Cat Noir, and Carapace accomplish the mission together. Afterwards, Cat Noir leaves while Rena Furtive is hiding behind the wall. Ladybug arrives in an alley with Nino Lahiffe taking the Turtle Miraculous from him as the mission is over. Nino returns the miraculous sadly. Ladybug asks Nino why he is sad and he asks why Alya Césaire was not included with the mission. Ladybug answers that Alya was not needed in this mission, and Ladybug leaves after taking the miraculous from Nino.
Ladybug arrives in the sewers where Rena Furtive is already hiding. Ladybug ask Rena Furtive if they are followed by someone or any Shadow Moth's traps, and she replies with no. Both Ladybug and Rena Furtive detransform. Before going back, Marinette Dupain-Cheng decides to ask something to Alya Césaire before doing so. Alya freaks out thinking she might be noticing her new outfit. Alya decides to call her new outfit Rena Furtive. Marinette tells Alya that she need to stop doing that because adapting a new outfit is just to protect her secret identity. No one can know Alya is still using the miraculous officially, Alya obeys Marinette as she is the current Order of the Guardians of Miraculouses. Marinette asks Alya if she had told Nino that she's not a Miraculous holder anymore. Alya stutters as she didn't tell Nino. Marinette reminds Alya that everyone has to believe that she is not a Miraculous holder anymore following her agreement in "Sentibubbler".
Marinette and Alya then go to Marinette's room, talking to each other about hiding their secret identities. Alya refuses to lie Nino about her secret identity as she tells Marinette they don't lie to each other and share everything. Marinette tells Alya she had to lie too, to her friend, referencing "Gang of Secrets", where Marinette reveals to Alya about her secret identity. Tom Dupain comes and offers Marinette to play Ultimate Mecha Strike III. Marinette declines her dad's request as she was talking to Alya. Unknown to Tom, he start assuming teachers the reason for giving her daughter so much homework and keeping her busy. Alya witnesses this conversation and Marinette explains to Alya that she even has to lie to her parents to protect her secret identity, Alya decides to accept Marinette advice. In Alya's room, Alya sadly ask Nino to tell him something. Nino, who was sitting in Alya's bed, stands up and questions Alya confusingly. Alya stutters and tells Nino that she is not Miraculous holder anymore. Nino becomes relieved and quickly understands what ladybug was saying to him lately. Unknown to Nino, Ladybug was lying and Alya is lying too. Nino then consoles Alya by telling her if Ladybug takes this step, it's just because to save her life. Nino then hugs Alya by telling each other they don't need anything to hide from each other.
In Collège Françoise Dupont while attending Miss Bustier's class, Alya sits with Marinette reacting sadly because she lied to Nino but Marinette tells Alya she did the right thing, and now they can hide their secrets. After school, Nino and Adrien are walking to Adrien's bodyguard's car. Meanwhile, Marinette and Alya just left the building. Marinette tells Alya teasingly without revealing anything that pretty soon she will go to patrol with Cat Noir and Alya will have to check whether Shadow Moth decides to akumatize someone. Alya then remembers she took a picture and excitingly shows Marinette a selfie that she took while she was Rena Furtive. It shows Rena Furtive in a pink, purple and orange suit. Marinette reminds Alya that she shouldn't post this on Ladyblog. Alya then deletes the pictures, and puts her head on Marinette's shoulder asking Marinette what to post on the Ladyblog as she is running out of content. Alya then comes up with creating video about Cat Noir. Meanwhile, Nino, seeing Alya putting her head on Marinette's shoulder, gets confused. Once Alya come closer to Nino, he offer Alya to go to the movies. Alya declines at first, but Marinette tells her to go with him. She instantly changes her mind, and immediately go with Nino.
At the movies, Nino and Alya watch the sequel to Les aventures de Ladybug & Chat Noir. A scene then shows Cat Noir and Rena Rouge flirting. Nino gets upset, calling it utterly ridiculous. Alya tends to console him by telling him it is just a movie for entertainment purposes and that it is fiction. They continue to watch but Nino notices Alya looking at her phone. Alya notices Nino looking and quickly turns the phone off and smiles. After leaving the theater, Nino questioned Alya what was she showing Marinette on her phone. However, he sees Alya looking at her home screen again. Nino becomes suspicious by this. He then decides to offer Alya to get ice cream from André. They approach him and almost get ice cream together. However, Alya notices Ladybug signaling that she needs her. Alya quickly leaves and kisses Nino on the cheek. Nino becomes sad but notices Cat Noir jumping in the air, causing him to get mad. Later, Nino sits in front of river watching one of Alya's video on the Ladyblog as she admires Cat Noir. Nino realizes Alya might love Cat Noir rather then him and gets very angry and upset. Nino then asks Adrien on the phone telling him his theory about Alya and Cat Noir. Adrien laughs and refuses to believe that she can love a guy whose identity is a secret. Adrien then says that the video proves nothing and that he might be wrong about his speculations. The call then ends. Adrien tells to Plagg that he needs to confirm this as Cat Noir. Adrien transforms and heads to the Césaire apartment.
Meanwhile, Nino creates a new look of himself as a detective. Nino talks to himself and goes to spy on Alya. In Alya's room, Alya hears a knock at the window. Trixx quickly hides. She opens the curtains and get shocked by seeing Cat Noir there. Alya then asks him is everything fine and Cat Noir replies with yes, everything is fine. Cat Noir reveals to Alya he just came to tell he saw her video about him and was thinking that she might have feeling about him. Alya then laughs at Cat Noir, and replies she already have a boyfriend, which is better than Cat Noir. They decide to hug each other to resolve the misunderstanding. Nino sees them, but wasn't able to hear anything. He then runs off crying. The next day, Adrien is walking in school, and notices a ton of bubbles. He then sees Nino, who wanted to tell Adrien something that he has for proof. The boys head to the boiler room, where Nino asks Adrien to sit. When he tries to ask, Nino slams the desk stating that he will be asking the questions. Nino shows a clip of Cat Noir and Alya together, which shocks Adrien. He tries to explain that it could just be a misunderstanding. Nino asks how he will know that, asking if he was involved, which Adrien quickly denies. Adrien furthers explains that Cat Noir and Alya barely know each other. He states that Alya is a superhero fan who records the battles of the heroes and adds that Alya wouldn't fall in love with someone that she barely knows. Nino explains that Alya is Rena Rouge and he is Carapace, which shocks Adrien that they both know each others secret identities. He adds that they both don't keep secrets between each other and that Ladybug gave their Miraculouses at the same time, which shocks Adrien even more stating that it is impossible for her to do that. Adrien continues that Cat Noir and Alya would still not know each other, but Nino states that he doesn't know what Cat Noir is like, he explains that Cat Noir is rejected whenever he tries to do his love confessions to Ladybug, which annoys her, but with Rena Rouge he flirts with her. Nino starts crying that he is alone and lost the love of his life to Cat Noir which he wants to shut his mouth forever if he could.
Shadow Moth senses Nino's heartbreak due to Cat Noir, so he creates an akuma and sends it after him. It akumatizes his glasses. Nino becomes akumatized into Rocketear a heartbroken and vengeful supervillain, who has powers of tears and wants to get his revenge on Cat Noir. Adrien tries to stop him, but Rocketear tells him he's not his enemy, but Cat Noir is, so he throws him to the ground and leaves. Adrien sadly transforms into Cat Noir and decides to get his friend back. Cat Noir follows Rocketear. Meanwhile in Collège Françoise Dupont, Marinette and Alya talking to each other get disturbed by Rocketear.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng/Ladybug
- Adrien Agreste/Cat Noir
- Alya Césaire/Rena Furtive (Rena Rouge pictured/mentioned)
- Shadow Moth
- Nino Lahiffe/Carapace/Rocketear
- Anne-Jeanne Théoxanne du Bocquale
- Bob Roth
- Tom Dupain
- Mylène Haprèle (pictured)
- Lê Chiến Kim (pictured)
- Juleka Couffaine (pictured)
- Ivan Bruel (background)
- Lila Rossi (background)
- Alix Kubdel (background)
- Rose Lavillant (background)
- Emilie Agreste (pictured)
- Jagged Stone (mentioned)
- Fang (mentioned)
- Majestia (pictured)
- Marc Anciel (background)
- Max Kanté (background)
- Nathaniel Kurtzberg (background)
- This is the fourth time Nino has been akumatized, following "The Bubbler", "Mayura" and "Oblivio".
- However, unlike his previous akumatizations, Nino doesn't get akumatized into Bubbler, Shell Shock or Oblivio, but instead into a new villain, Rocketear.
- The name of the titular villain is a pun on "rocketeer", meaning a person who operates rockets, and the words "rocket" and "tear", referring to his rocket-like exploding tears.
- The French title, "Larme Ultime", literally means "final tear", but is also a pun on "L'arme ultime", meaning "final weapon".
- Due to Alya's new role into helping Ladybug all time, her suit becomes dark blue and gains a camouflaged pattern. Rena Rouge now calls herself Rena Furtive.
- "Furtive" is a French word meaning "stealthy", so her full name is French for "stealthy fox".
- According to her, her costume changed to adapt to her new role, out of the public eye. This is further confirmation that Miraculous holders can change their costume based on their thoughts and desires, as alluded to by Plagg in "Frightningale".
- As Ladybug is shown to be aware of her new suit, it's implied that she got it sometime before this episode. As there are only two episodes between "Sentibubbler" and "Rocketear", chronologically, she probably got it in either of the two episodes.
- The scientist at the beginning, who has brought four dinosaurs back to life, is named Anne-Jeanne Théoxanne du Bocquale. She was inspired by a Polynesian scientist.
- It's revealed Rena Rouge now works in the shadows to both protect Ladybug, Cat Noir and their team from falling into any of Shadow Moth's traps and to follow the latter in case he appears in person.
- This is the second time the footage rewinds to show another character's perspective, following "The Puppeteer 2".
- Coincidentally, the two POV's shown in both episodes are of Alya and Marinette and Nino and Adrien.
- Tom barges in on Marinette and a friend asking to play video games, just like in the episode "Gamer 2.0".
- Despite Marinette asking Alya to make sure no one knows that she is Rena Rouge anymore, she ends up telling Nino that she is still Rena Rouge and is helping Ladybug during her missions.
- Nino's detective outfit and desk in the boiler room are similar to those of Sherlock Holmes.
- It is revealed that Adrien doesn't actually know the identities of Rena Rouge and Carapace, however because of Nino who unwillingly revealed them, he now knows their identities too.
- Like in "Sentibubbler", Cat Noir's anger began to grow when he found out it was Ladybug who picked them and they already knew each other identities.
- It could stem from the jealously he feels because despite that Rena and Carapace are together as a couple while he and Ladybug can't be together until Hawk Moth is defeated.
- Ironically, unknown to him, he and Ladybug had already discovered the other's identity and were a couple, in "Oblivio" and "Cat Blanc", but due to their circumstances, they couldn't stay that way.
- When Nino mentions Ladybug giving him and Alya their Miraculouses together, he's referring to "Catalyst", however he failed to mention that the reason why the heroine unveiled the identities of the two to each other was because she was in a hurry.
- Like in "Sentibubbler", Cat Noir's anger began to grow when he found out it was Ladybug who picked them and they already knew each other identities.
- Nino is the second person to reject Shadow Moth's control and returns back to normal on his own, following Alya in "Gang of Secrets".
- This excludes Chloé as she hadn't transformed into the titular villain.
- Unlike how it happened with Alya, who had to fight to release herself, the reason why he rejected Shadow Moth's powers was because he no longer had need of them.
- This is the first time that Ladybug or Cat Noir does not destroy the akumatized object, but instead the akumatized person deakumatizes on its own while under the influence of Shadow Moth.
- Even though Alya deakumatized while under the control of Shadow Moth, she didn't carry the akumatized object, but she was only used to help defeat the villains.
- This is the second time Adrien transforms with a sad expression, following "Santa Claws", and the fourth time he transforms on-screen in Season 4, following "Lies", "Mega Leech" and "Sentibubbler".
- Interestingly, the transformation sequence is new, rather than being recycled from "Santa Claws".
- This episode shows a resemblance to "Lady Wifi", "Reverser", "Weredad", "Truth", "Lies" and "Gang of Secrets".
- Like Nathaniel, Alya and Marinette, Nino jumped to conclusions too quickly and except for "Lady Wifi" and "Weredad" (directly) both times Marinette was indirectly, although unintentionally, responsible for what happened.
- At their weakest points both Nino and Marinette revealed their identities to closest friends.
- However both best friends handled it differently; Alya was fine with Marinette being the heroine and continued to give her support while Adrien was shocked and angry that Ladybug bent the rules and was keeping secrets again.
- This is one of the several times where Cataclysm wasn't used.
- The skin tone of Alya's edit of Rena Furtive with a pink costume is darker than Alya's.
Click here to view the gallery.