|This article is about the character, who is an occasional Turtle Miraculous holder. You may be looking for the webisode, the sentimonster, Jade Turtle, a former Turtle Miraculous holder, or another Turtle.|
|“||It'd be primo if we could listen to our beats while we study in the library.||”|
In "The Bubbler", when Nino becomes frustrated with adults after failing to convince Gabriel Agreste to allow Adrien to have a birthday party, Hawk Moth akumatizes him into The Bubbler, a bubble-wielding supervillain.
In "Anansi", after Alya Césaire and Cat Noir are captured by the titular villain, Nino receives the Turtle Miraculous from Ladybug. When the Miraculous is inhabited by Wayzz, Nino becomes Carapace, a turtle-themed superhero who helps Ladybug and Cat Noir "during particularly difficult missions" in the second season and beyond.
In "Rocketear", after coming to believe that Alya and Cat Noir are secretly a couple behind his back and thinking that Alya is cheating on him, Nino is akumatized into Rocketear, a supervillain with the power to cry exploding tears. And from this episode, Nino reveals to Adrien that he is Carapace, and later, he also receives a Magical Charm from Ladybug that prevents him from being akumatized again.
After the events of "Strikeback", Nino will temporarily be unable to become Carapace after Hawk Moth manages to steal the Turtle Miraculous along with all the others contained in the Chinese Miracle Box from Ladybug's yo-yo.
Nino is a tall slender teenager, with short dark brown hair, dark skin, and moderate orange eyes.
He wears a plain red cap, uses black-rimmed glasses, and often has a pair of dark gray, blue, and orange headphones hung around his neck. He typically wears a vivid azure t-shirt with an eye design on the front (a design involving a black pupil, white sclera, a dark gray upper eyelid with lashes, and a light blue lower lid). Around his jeans is a brown belt, and while most of it is hidden by his shirt, one tip sticks out a little bit below the hem. Additionally, he wears lime green, pink, red, blue, and yellow wristbands around his right wrist, moderate azure jeans, and red and white high collar shoes with a white knight design on the tongues.
Carapace has a deep green jumpsuit with a hood over his head, the suit itself made with tiny hexagonal patterns resembling those on the Turtle Miraculous. The hoodie has a silver semicircle on the front, curved red-eye designs on the sides with black and golden details, and two small light green ovals below the bottom of the hood's opening. Over his eyes, Carapace wears black goggles with yellow-green lenses, and underneath the suit, he has a black collar. On his suit, he has six hexagon-shaped light green circles on his chest, and he has dark gray hexagon-shaped protective pads on his shoulders, elbows, hips, and knees. The Turtle Miraculous bracelet is on his right wrist. Also, Carapace wears deep green boots with an indent between his big toe and other toes, dark gray outsoles, and two indents on two sides of each boot. On his back, he carries a shield that is dark green on one side and light green on the other.
As Shell Shock
Shell Shock has the same appearance as his superhero counterpart except for being red all over, and the lenses of his goggles and shield are all red, owing to him having been taken over by a Scarlet Akuma. His appearance resulting from a normal Akuma is unknown.
As The Bubbler
The Bubbler has light brilliant arctic blue skin, dark amaranth eyes, and black circles around his eyes, along with a black spot above his left eye and a black spot below his right eye. He wears a luminous vivid red, arctic blue, and yellow elbow-length sleeved tunic with many parts of the suit being rounded like attached bubbles. Around his head, he has a red hood-like thing that features a red antenna on top with a red sphere. Also, he wears black boots, black elbow-length gloves with brilliant amaranth knuckles, and black pants. On his chest, he has an eye-like black and white circle with two dark gray tubes attached. The tubes connect to Bubbler's red, yellow, and blue bubble container, where he puts his bubble wand when he isn't using it. The bubble wand has a blue handle and a yellow head with a long, oval hole.
Oblivio is a purple silhouette that has a laser cannon in its left hand and wears a gray glove in its right hand.
As Rocketear, Nino's entire skin tone becomes a light cornflower blue tint. His head (which may also be a helmet) is shaped like a teardrop, with a pale, light grayish azure front and black back, with the black part curling over his cheek onto the front of his face. On the pale, light grayish cerulean part of his helmet is a teardrop. Over his eyes, replacing his glasses, are blue visors, and his eyes are brilliant cerulean. He seems to be wearing what looks like a light cerulean supervillain jumpsuit with pale, light grayish cerulean gloves. On his shoulders, waist/thighs, and elbows are black teardrops with a light blue outline. There is a black square on each of his gloves. He also has pale, light grayish cerulean boots with black teardrops on them. He has another teardrop insignia on his chest.
Nino is fun-loving, enthusiastic, friendly, and compassionate. He enjoys being a DJ at parties and hanging out with friends. He is described as "a caring friend with a strong sense of right and wrong." Noticing when someone, like Adrien, is upset, he does what he can to comfort them or cheer them up. If he has a vision for something, he stays dedicated to it, sometimes rather stubbornly. But if things don't go in the fashion he wants them to, it exasperates and upsets him. He is more than willing to argue his point, though he is able to change his opinions on situations or particular people. Nino becomes frustrated if he sees something that he considers unfair, like when Adrien's father won't allow Adrien to have a birthday party. However, he doesn't hold grudges for long, and whether by choice or not, he will help others when they ask for it.
However, he tends to act nervous in certain situations, as seen in "Animan" when he tried to ask Marinette on a date and when he stuttered at the sight of being posted on Alya's Ladyblog. He also has some knowledge of how things work in certain situations like in "Horrificator" or "Anansi".
Like Alya, he can be caught up in the moment or excitement of things. However, unlike Alya, he can calm himself down enough to realize reality as he doesn't hesitate on returning the Turtle Miraculous.
When it comes to those he cares about he is brave and loyal, refusing to leave them behind, as seen in "Simon Says", where he didn't want to leave without Adrien, and in "Anansi", when he was even willing to fight against the titular villain to save Alya or staying with her when she's infected in "Zombizou". He is also protective of his brother Chris, running all over the city to find him in "Christmaster". He can become doubtful of his abilities at times but takes advice from others very well.
Also, he seems to be very attached to his signature red cap, as seen in "Chameleon", when it is taken from him by the titular villain and Alya is later seen reassuring him that he looks fine without it.
Nino can be very insecure sometimes, especially when it comes to his relationship with Alya, as seen in "Rocketear". After noticing Alya being evasive and keeping secrets, not to mention her apparent attention towards Cat Noir, combined with a scene from a movie where Rena Rouge declares to Cat Noir, Nino comes to suspect there might be something between them and follows Alya to confirm his suspicions. That insecurity of his causes him to misunderstand the situation and believe they are together.
As Carapace, most of Nino's personality remains the same, like his willingness to help others and bravery, although he forgets to speak in a formal manner, calling Ladybug "dude" or "dudette" instead of Ladybug. According to one of Alya's Instagram photos, he is also a bit camera shy.
As Bubbler, he becomes less caring and more aggressive, being much wilder and louder than normal. Although one of his intentions is to let Adrien have the birthday party that he never gets, he also despises adults and uses his powers to get rid of them. His hatred can extend to his peers if they defy his orders. As Bubbler, if anyone doesn't listen to him, they get trapped in a bubble. His rage proves to even be an issue for Hawk Moth when he traps Ladybug and Cat Noir and sends them into the sky instead of taking their Miraculouses.
As Shell Shock, his personality as Carapace seems to inverse, making him cruel and aggressive.
As Oblivio, he and Alya become incredibly arrogant and conceited in their own abilities, erasing people's memories on a whim and taunting Ladybug and Cat Noir constantly after doing the same thing to them. However, they are easily frustrated as well, growing angrier and angrier while trying and failing to track down Ladybug and Cat Noir after they detransform.
As Rocketear, he is vengeful towards Cat Noir for what he believes is Alya cheating on him with Cat Noir. He also cares about others who cares about him such as Adrien and Alya aren't consider his enemies, He tries to destroy Cat Noir mainly, rather than get the Miraculouses or destroy Ladybug. However, when Ladybug stops him from causing any more harm to Cat Noir, he then aims to destroy her as well until he sees the video he recorded being projected with the audio being added by Rena Furtive without him knowing. This causes him to give up his vengeance and reject Shadow Moth’s akumatization.
As a civilian
Nino is a skilled DJ, competing with his abilities and making it to the second round of The Challenge. With his cellphone, he likes to record videos, and, in "Horrificator", he films a movie with it. He is also knowledgeable in film tropes and film crew, noting how cell phones don't usually work in horror movies in "Horrificator" and mentioning Hollywood director Steven Basielberg in "Volpina".
In "Anansi", Nino is shown to have decent fighting abilities.
Carapace has much more enhanced skills, such as speed, agility, and strength, and he is almost invulnerable to physical damage. However, he doesn't seem to be able to reach great heights like other Miraculouses allow (such as Ladybug with her yo-yo, or Rena Rouge with her superior agility), having to rely on his allies for being transported long distances. He possesses a shield as a weapon that can easily be thrown and used to fight and is strong enough to endure hits from powerful villains like Anansi.
His special power, Shell-ter, is executed through his shield, and allows him to create a giant green shell-like spherical barrier/force field to protect himself and his allies, and is also able to damage particular surfaces (such as Anansi's webs). Despite the usefulness of this power, it must be used wisely, as Carapace can only use it once before reverting to his civilian form five minutes after using it.
As Shell Shock
Shell Shock still has enhanced skills and wields the same weapon as Carapace, however, any further abilities as Shell Shock are currently unknown.
As the Bubbler
With his bubble wand weapon, Bubbler can create giant impenetrable bubbles with various powers and colors.
- Purple bubbles can be used to chase and capture people, turning green. Additionally, Bubbler can use them to project his face and give a message, and he can stand on them to levitate.
- Red bubbles are his offensive attack: he can throw them at his enemies, causing a fiery explosion on impact. Additionally, The Bubbler can turn existing red bubbles into swarming green ones that attach to people and morph into a giant green bubble. This is used to catch both Ladybug and Cat Noir in one go.
He is unable to levitate in mid-air without standing on a bubble, but he can jump very high and can fly from one place to another leaving a trail of purple bubbles.
His bubbles can't be penetrated by limbs or by Ladybug's yo-yo. However, the shields Ladybug and Cat Noir create by rotating their weapons do offer some protection. Additionally, the bubbles can be blown away by air currents and can be burst by Cataclysm and the Miraculous Ladybug.
Oblivio has super strength and wields a laser cannon that can fire a blast of purple energy that causes whoever it hits to lose their memories. Oblivio is invulnerable to physical attacks, which phase right through.
Rocketear is able to create tears from his visors and shoot them at his opponent. Once the the person aimed for is touched by the tears, they will immediately be pushed to a far-off distance. However, if his tears touch an object, they will cause a massive explosion around its area. He is also able to charge a short beam of energy, which has the same affect as his tears.
= Gender Unknown
- The official Miraculous Ladybug Tumblr blog revealed that Nino's family was originally supposed to be revealed in Season 2. However, the only member who has been seen in the show is Chris, his younger brother, who was introduced in "Christmaster".
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "Stormy Weather":||Absent||14. "Darkblade":||Appears|
|2. "The Evillustrator":||Background||15. "The Pharaoh":||Absent|
|3. "Lady Wifi":||Appears||16. "Timebreaker":||Background|
|4. "Princess Fragrance":||Background||17. "Horrificator":||Appears|
|5. "Dark Cupid":||Background||18. "The Puppeteer":||Absent|
|6. "Mr. Pigeon":||Background||19. "The Mime":||Absent|
|7. "Pixelator":||Appears||20. "Guitar Villain":||Absent|
|8. "Copycat":||Appears||21. "Reflekta":||Appears|
|9. "The Bubbler":||Appears||22. "Ladybug & Cat Noir (Origins - Part 1)":||Appears|
|10. "Simon Says":||Appears||23. "Stoneheart (Origins - Part 2)":||Appears|
|11. "Rogercop":||Appears||24. "Antibug":||Background|
|12. "Gamer":||Appears||25. "Kung Food":||Absent|
|13. "Animan":||Appears||26. "Volpina":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "The Collector":||Appears||14. "Syren":||Appears|
|2. "Prime Queen":||Absent||15. "Zombizou":||Appears|
|3. "Glaciator":||Appears||16. "Captain Hardrock":||Appears|
|4. "Despair Bear":||Background||17. "Frozer":||Background|
|5. "Troublemaker":||Background||18. "Style Queen":||Background|
|6. "Gigantitan":||Absent||19. "Queen Wasp":||Background|
|7. "Riposte":||Absent||20. "Reverser":||Absent|
|8. "Befana":||Background||21. "Anansi":||Appears|
|9. "Frightningale":||Background||22. "Malediktator":||Background|
|10. "Gorizilla":||Absent||23. "Sandboy":||Absent|
|11. "Robostus":||Appears||24. "Catalyst":||Appears|
|12. "Sapotis":||Absent||25. "Mayura":||Appears|
|13. "The Dark Owl":||Appears||26. "Santa Claws":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "Chameleon":||Appears||14. "Kwamibuster":||Appears|
|2. "Animaestro":||Absent||15. "Feast":||Absent|
|3. "Bakerix":||Appears||16. "Gamer 2.0":||Appears|
|4. "Backwarder":||Absent||17. "Stormy Weather 2":||Appears|
|5. "Reflekdoll":||Appears||18. "Ikari Gozen":||Absent|
|6. "Weredad":||Absent||19. "Timetagger":||Appears|
|7. "Silencer":||Pictured||20. "Party Crasher":||Appears|
|8. "Oni-Chan":||Appears||21. "The Puppeteer 2":||Appears|
|9. "Miraculer":||Appears||22. "Cat Blanc":||Alternative Reality|
|10. "Oblivio":||Appears||23. "Félix":||Appears|
|11. "Desperada":||Absent||24. "Ladybug":||Appears|
|12. "Christmaster":||Appears||25. "Heart Hunter":||Absent|
|13. "Startrain":||Appears||26. "Miracle Queen":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "Truth":||Appears||14. "Sentibubbler":||Appears|
|2. "Lies":||Appears||15. "Glaciator 2":||Background|
|3. "Gang of Secrets":||Pictured||16. "Hack-San":||Appears|
|4. "Mr. Pigeon 72":||Pictured||17. "Rocketear":||Appears|
|5. "Psycomedian":||Appears||18. "Wishmaker":||Background|
|6. "Furious Fu":||Pictured||19. "Simpleman":||Appears|
|7. "Sole Crusher":||Appears||20. "Qilin":||Absent|
|8. "Queen Banana":||Appears||21. "Dearest Family":||Appears|
|9. "Gabriel Agreste":||Pictured||22. "Ephemeral":||Appears|
|10. "Mega Leech":||Appears||23. "Kuro Neko":||Appears|
|11. "Guiltrip":||Appears||24. "Penalteam":||Appears|
|12. "Crocoduel":||Appears||25. "Risk":||Absent|
|13. "Optigami":||Appears||26. "Strikeback":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Absent|
|"Miraculous New York":||Appears||"Miraculous Shanghai":||Appears|
|"Miraculous Rio":||Unknown||"Miraculous Dakar":||Unknown|
|"Miraculous London":||Unknown||"Miraculous Tokyo":||Unknown|
|"Miraculous: One Night Mission":||Unknown||"Miraculous & Ghostforce crossover":||Unknown|
|"Ladybug in Halloween":||Unknown|
|Ladybug & Cat Noir: The Movie:||Will Appear|
|1. "Marinette in Paris":||Appears||19. "Alix":||Appears|
|2. "Marinette and Fashion":||Background||20. "Sabrina":||Appears|
|3. "Ladybug as seen by Adrien":||Background||21. "Ivan":||Background|
|4. "Ladyblog":||Background||22. "Gabriel":||Background|
|5. "Adrien's Double Life":||Appears||23. "Nathaniel & Marc":||Absent|
|6. "Marinette and Alya":||Appears||24. "Marinette as seen by Chloé":||Background|
|7. "Marinette's Double Life":||Background||25. "Lila":||Appears|
|8. "Cat Noir as seen by Marinette":||Appears||26. "Hawk Moth and the Akumatized Villains":||Appears|
|9. "My Birthday Party":||Appears||27. "Family":||Absent|
|10. "Marinette and Adrien":||Background||28. "Kagami as seen by Marinette":||Absent|
|11. "Master Fu":||Absent||29. "Kagami as seen by Adrien":||Absent|
|12. "Tikki":||Absent||30. "Luka as seen by Marinette":||Asent|
|13. "Plagg":||Absent||31. "New Powers":||Absent|
|14. "Friends":||Appears||32. "New Heroes":||Appears|
|15. "Nino":||Appears||33. "Mayura and the Sentimonsters":||Appears|
|16. "Max":||Appears||34. "Chloé as seen by Marinette":||Background|
|17. "Mylène":||Appears||35. "Nathalie as seen by Gabriel":||Absent|
|18. "Rose":||Appears||36. "Feelings":||Absent|
|Tales from Paris|
|1. "The Notebook":||Appears||3. "Repetition":||Absent|
|2. "Inspiration":||Absent||4. "Busy Day":||Appears|
|5. "Homework Essay":||Absent|
|"Happy Birthday to You!":||Background||Miraculous Ladybug OVA:||Unknown|
Comics and books
|"Issue 1":||Appears||"Issue 5":||Appears|
|"Issue 2":||Appears||"Issue 6":||Unknown|
|"Issue 3":||Absent||"Issue 7":||Unknown|
|"Issue 4":||Absent||"Issue 8":||Unknown|
|Other Comics & Books|
|Ladybug Artbook:||Appears||Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug:||Unknown|
|Miraculous (manga):||Absent||Miraculous: Tales of Cat Noir:||Unknown|
|Tailor-Made Adventures:||Absent||Tales of Miraculous:||Unknown|
|Super Lady Luck:||Absent||Miraculous Mission Ladybug:||Appears|
|Throwdown!:||Absent||Ladybug Contra os Vilões:||Appears|
|Miraculous Ladybug & Cat Noir:||Playable||Miraculous Crush:||Playable|
|Miraculous: Color by Numbers||Pictured||Miraculous RP: Quests of Ladybug & Cat Noir:||Playable|
|The Mini Menace Ladybug:||Absent||Ladybug PV:||Absent|
|First CGI promotional videos:||Absent||Korean musical:||Appears|
- Nino's name is a wordplay on "No life" - or rather, Nolife - a French TV network about pop culture, self-described as "for geeks, nerds and otakus". This refers to his geeky personality.
- Nino aspires to be a film director, as hinted in “Horrificator”, as well as “Volpina” when he says “Lila knows all of the Hollywood directors, she promised she'd mention me to Steven Basielberg himself!", and he directs the Creatica film in Queen Banana
- Nino is a DJ during his spare time, and he manages the school radio station.
- An earlier concept design for Nino involved a white shirt with red color included in the eye logo and dark gray headphones.
- In "The Bubbler", Nino has black hair but in all episodes afterward, he has brown hair.
- Nino and his family comes from the country, Morocco. It was previously assumed his family came from Réunion based on a series of tweets.
- But it's unknown if the African side off his family comes from his mother's or father's side.
- Nino is actually that second person of African origins to wield a Miraculous succeeding his Miraculous predecessor Mudekudeku who wielded the Ladybug Miraculous.
- Carapace means a "protective shell", which is an apt description of his special power when using the Turtle Miraculous.
- It is also the technical name for a turtle's backshell.
- In the Serbian dub, his superhero name Carapace is changed to Karapaks.
- Both Carapace and his civilian identity were revealed on August 31, 2017, in a press release video from French Miraculous distributor TFOU.
- Following Alya Césaire and Chloe Bourgeois, Nino is the third person to become a Miraculous holder and an Akumatized villain, excluding Gabriel, who Akumatized himself.
- When Nino and Alya become Oblivio, their supervillain name is a pun on the word oblivious.
- Alternatively, it might come from the word 'oblivion' in reference of their power of erasing memories.
- The Bubbler appears another time in "Gamer 2.0" for Gamer's powers.
- A statue of the Bubbler appears in the Musée Grévin in "The Puppeteer 2".
- At Comic-Con 2019, Marinette, Adrien, Alya and Chloé were announced to have real-world Instagram accounts that fans could follow. In the video showing the accounts, Nino was shown to be tagged in a picture with a supposed account of his own, under the account name "@djnino" – currently, however, there exists an inactive account under that same nickname. While it is currently unknown if Nino will get an Instagram account in the future, Alya started the trending hashtag #ninoneedsaninstagram, which the accounts use to "tag" him in posts.
- In a post where Chloé mentions her distaste for being paired up with Nino for an art assignment (one that also saw Adrien with Alya and Marinette with Nathaniel), she commented, "#ninodoesntneedaninstagram".
- In "Sentibubbler", it is revealed that Nino is afraid of tarantulas. However when he is near Alya, he tries to pretend to not be scared of tarantulas.
- The word "tear" from "Rocketear" may be a reference to Nino using his explosive powers through his tears.
- Alongside Chloé Bourgeois and Alya Césaire, he is the third person to break free from an Akuma's control, and is the first male person to do so. Coincidentally, the three of them are Miraculous holders.
- However, given that Chloé wasn't akumatized when she broke free, he is technically the second person to break free from an Akuma's control while akumatized.
- As seen in "Mayura", Carapace is the third person to break an akumatized object, instead of Ladybug and Cat Noir, following Queen Bee and Rena Rouge in "Mayura".
- In "Rocketear", Nino is the first hero to be given a Magical Charm after becoming a Miraculous holder, excluding Wang Fu and Chloé Bourgeois, who are former holders.
- Nino is also the first male student from Miss Bustier's class and the third one, following Chloe Bourgeois and Juleka Couffaine, to receive a Magical Charm.
- In Rocketear, it is revealed that Nino always wanted a mustache.
- Rocketear is the second villain that doesn't abandon their civilian identity, after Truth, as he doesn’t correct Ladybug when she calls him by his civilian name.
- Nino and Chloé are tied with the most akumitized indentities at four (The Bubbler, Shell Shock, Oblivio and Rocketear in Nino's case).
- As of "Penalteam", Nino is now in second position, being surpassed by Chloé who has now five akumatized identities (Antibug, Queen Wasp, Miracle Queen, Queen Banana and Penalty).
Click here to view the gallery.
- In "Anansi" by Nora Césaire/Anansi.
- By Rena Rouge in "Mayura" by Rena Rouge.
- In "Anansi" by Ladybug.
- By Rena Rouge in "Mayura".
- By Ladybug In "Horrificator".
- By Miracle Queen in "Miracle Queen".
- File:Miraculous Character Heights.png, File:Miraculous Character Heights - Superheroes.png
- https://pandasuite.com/viewer/2.0.2/59a6c26e48abe6f53a002dc9?t=1 (direct video source here) Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name ":0" defined multiple times with different content
- Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- Thomas Astruc on Twitter 8 April 2018
"Un dernier #MonSouvenirNolife sous forme d'easter egg qui ne sera plus compris que par une poignée d'anciens désormais: Dans Miraculous, le nom de Famille de Nino, le pote geek d'Adrien, c'est Lahiffe. #TheEndofNolife"
(Translation: One last #MyNolifeMemory in the form of easter egg that won't be understood more than by a handful of elders from now on: In Miraculous, the family name of Nino, Adrien's geek buddy, is Lahiffe. #TheEndofNolife)
- Image from the 2014 Licensing Show Video.
- http://princessofharte.tumblr.com/post/141454553764/i-felt-like-i-had-to-share-this-with-someone-nino Submitted to admin Princess of Harte from a private ask on Tumblr.
- Here Thomas Astruc said that either Alya or Nino's family comes from Réunion and here he revealed that Alya's comes from Martinique.