|This article is about the special TV movie. You may be looking for the city or another Miraculous.|
|“||I'd like to see people as people, think of them as stories: their smallest pleasures, their greatest joys, their disappointments, their successes. That's how my adoptive father would have wanted me to see them.||”|
—Fei Wu, "Miraculous Shanghai"
"Miraculous World: Shanghai – The Legend of Ladydragon" (or simply "Miraculous Shanghai") is the 54-minute special TV movie of the Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. It premiered in the US on May 28, 2021 (at 8:00 p.m) on Disney Channel.
To join Adrien in Shanghai, Marinette is going to visit her uncle Wang who is celebrating his birthday. But, as soon as she arrives in China, her purse gets stolen with Tikki inside, whom she needs to secretly transform into Ladybug! Without money and alone in the immense city, Marinette accepts the help of a resourceful and street-smart girl, Fei. The two girls will ally and discover the existence of a new magical jewel, the Prodigious. Hawk Moth, also present in Shanghai, seeks to finding it since a long time...
On October 7, 2017, a crew member of the show mentioned that the special had been moved from Season 2 to one of the following seasons.
On May 29, 2019, Jeremy Zag revealed background concept art of Shanghai, although he didn't specifically reveal that the Shanghai concept art is for the upcoming promotional poster for this special. The caption of his post read: "New city. New Magical Object. New Hero. #zagheroez #ladydragon".
On March 1, 2020, it was confirmed the special is currently in production. SAMG is involved in the special's production.
On May 5, 2020, Jeremy Zag revealed that the production of special has started.
On June 15, 2020, Jeremy Zag revealed a new superhero, who will appear in this special.
On June 17, 2020, Jeremy Zag posted on his Instagram an official promotional poster for this special.
On July 1, 2020 the synopsis for the special was revealed during a TFOU conference.
On July 6, 2020 French news La Libre announced that TF1 will air New York and Shanghai specials at Christmas 2020.
On September 28, 2020, Thomas Astruc revealed the full title of the special to be "Miraculous World: Shanghai: The Legend of Ladydragon" in a comment to Le Figaro FR. He also stated that Marinette would reconnect with her Chinese roots in the special.
On October 5, 2020, Jeremy Zag posted on his Instagram a new image of the Renlings, but a few minutes later the post was removed. On October 8, Jeremy image posted again, but this time in color, with the caption "They are not Kwamis they are renlings, they can transform you into a wild animal you must control. Their owner is a very special person Ladybug and Cat Noir will meet in Shanghai! Coming very soon to you.".
On October 13, 2020, it was said that Miraculous Shanghai special will be released in the first quarter of 2021.
On October 28, 2020, Lindalee Rose confirms that the Shanghai special will come around March/April 2021.
On December 16, 2020, an English-language South Korean television network Arirang TV posted video on YouTube video from a visit to the SAMG Animation studio, where they've mentioned Miraculous as one of its projects and a little scene from the Shanghai special was shown: Tikki captured in a toy.
On January 19, 2021, the premiere of the Shanghai special was reconfirmed to be April 2021.
On March 13, 2021, the Brazilian TV channel Telecine Premium has announced they would air special on March 27, 2021.
On March 25, 2021, TFOU has released another teaser for the special.
On March 29, 2021, Jeremy Zag on Instagram posted a new scene with Ladydragon.
On April 3, 2021, the Spanish Disney Channel has released a teaser for the special.
The episode begins with Fei describing how Wu Shifu lost his students. The scene cuts to the school, somewhere in Shanghai, where the students are leaving their former master, Wu Shifu, telling him that their kung fu is not up to his teachings. Wu Shifu begs them to come back, encouraging them by saying that they still have so much to learn, but they leave anyway. Outside, we see that the students are given money by an unknown man. The man smirks and fans himself.
Wu Shifu was saddened, since the school was his life, and the students were like his children. Fei narrates that Wu Shifu was also saddened by the fact that he has no family left to fill his legacy of protecting the Prodigious and the secret of the cave. Momentarily distracted, he suddenly hears a baby's cries. He looks outside and sees the baby crying on his doorstep, but she stops and smiles when she sees Wu Shifu, who smiles back at her. Taking pity on her, Wu Shifu takes her in and teaches her kung fu and everything about protecting Prodigious. As she grows older and learns kung fu, Wu Shifu passes away and the school is destroyed, leaving Fei the responsibility of protecting the cave. Later that night while she was sleeping, her bracelet is taken. When she wakes up from a nightmare, she realizes her bracelet was stolen and resolves to do anything to reclaim it, no matter what it takes.
Meanwhile in Paris, Marinette narrates how she and Cat Noir must protect the city from Hawk Moth. During the summer vacation, Marinette learns that Adrien is going to Shanghai with his father and wants to follow him there since he couldn't attend the group picnic that same day.
On a plane bound to Shanghai, Gabriel explains to Adrien that he is opening a new store in Shanghai and that there will be other fun times with his friends. Adrien replies that he is happy to spend time with his father, but is saddened when his father quickly leaves. Gabriel contacts Nathalie and she tells him that all the conditions for the magical eclipse will be met the next day. He hangs up and brings out a case. He opens it to reveal Fei's bracelet and Nooroo appears, warning his master that there was a reason that the Prodigious was abandoned and it is too dangerous. Gabriel counters by saying that he won't pass up the opportunity to achieve his goal by using a higher power than his own.
In the bakery, Marinette arrives and Sabine realises that the package she's holding won't get delivered in time. Marinette knows that her great-uncle, Wang Cheng lives in Shanghai, and asks her parents if she can go to Shanghai to deliver his 60th birthday gift personally, stumbling over her words, tripping over a box and almost letting her true intentions (visiting Adrien), slip. Her mother is ecstatic that her daughter's going to live up to the traditions of her family and asks Marinette to take the box to her uncle Wang for his 60th birthday so it arrives on time. Tom excitedly hands over enough money to get her there but says that she'll have to go herself on such short notice.
In Shanghai, Wang Cheng is excited that Marinette is with him on his 60th birthday and he takes her to his restaurant, Thousand Delights restaurant. Once there, Wang introduces his grand niece to his pet parrot, Bastille. He explains that Bastille has been with his family for centuries, including Sabine's parents (Marinette's maternal grandparents) and Sabine's sister (Marinette's maternal aunt), even with Sabine herself in her early childhood. Marinette also learns that Sabine changed her name once she moved to Paris and was born as Xia Bing. Marinette asks Wang if she can take a walk. Although fearing for her safety, Wang reluctantly agrees.
The Agrestes arrive in Shanghai and Gabriel privately relishes in the fact that after seeking the Prodigious for 15 years, he has finally found it. Gabriel tells his son that he can have some fun in Shanghai, much to Adrien's joy. To ensure his safety, Gabriel sends his bodyguard to watch over Adrien. Adrien befriends three young men, Lian, Kang and Jiao. Marinette suddenly sees him and goes after him. While waiting for the traffic lights to change, Fei, disguised, steals Marinette's earrings, kwagatama and her purse without being noticed.
Lian, Kang and Jiao notice Fei stealing, so they run after her, telling her to give everything back. Marinette notices this and believes that Fei is an innocent bypassing girl and Lian and friends are criminals threatening her. Determined to save her, Marinette decides to transform into Ladybug. However, much to her horror, all of her accessories and Tikki are missing, she yells in horror and despair.
In the street, Fei confronts the boys and defeats them without even physically touching them. She runs off, leaving them on the floor. They continue to chase her, but when Jiao notices the kwagatama on the floor, he decides to go in a different direction. Meanwhile, at Thousand Delights restaurant, Adrien is surprised to learn that Marinette also happens to be in Shanghai. Bastille then tells Adrien that love is beautiful and believes that Adrien and Marinette are somehow in love. Smiling, Adrien says that they should prepare a surprise for Marinette and asks Wang if he can wait with him. Wang tells him that it would be delightful and that he could help him prepare the meal if he agrees. Adrien tells him that it would be his pleasure and an honor to help the best chef in the world prepare a meal.
She tries to explain to a passer-by that she is looking for her earrings, unfortunately he does not understand what she means, Marinette is unhappy with her situation. She draws on a notepad and points to it, but the vague drawing makes him think she means a round black plate. Marinette sighs and determinedly draws a more precise picture. The passers-by begin to understand and are impressed by her skill. Another passer-by steps in and summons Marinette to a jewellery store and convinces her to keep the plain black earrings she offers.
Adrien helps Wang with the food they prepared. Wang asks if Marinette is often late and Adrien laughs, answering that it would be unusual for her to be on time. Wang calls her mobile and leaves a message. The ringing alerts Fei, who opens the stolen purse and discards the SIM card in Marinette's phone, leaving Tikki horrified.
Fei takes Marinette's stolen belongings (including the earrings and Tikki) to Cash's sovereign shop, where she meets up with Cash, who wants 200 yuans for all of it. Fei disagrees and thinks that it would be better to return the items. Cash realises that he can get more money by making Fei find Marinette to make her buy them back instead. Tikki is dropped into the claw crane and Cash puts the rest of Marinette's things on display.
Marinette looks through the city to search for her belongings, but due to her missing phone for map and translations, it's unsuccessful. She laments that without her phone, she can't even find her way back to her uncle's restaurant. Lian, Jiao and Kang find her again and try to show her that they have her necklace, but Marinette misinterprets the situation and runs from them. She bumps into Fei and realises that she's the one the three boys were chasing. Marinette tells her that she probably doesn't understand a word she's saying, but Fei confirms that she can and tells Marinette to follow her and they both run from the boys. They slip into an alley to lose them. Fei asks Marinette what happened to her. She tells her about her stolen belongings and Fei asks if her earrings have sentimental value, to which Marinette sadly confirms. Fei admits that she also had a jewel stolen from her and resolves to help Marinette. They spot the three boys again and make a run for it.
Back at the Thousand Delights, Wang leaves Marinette another voicemail and also calls the police. Adrien decides to go out and look for her, assuring Wang that she can't have gone far and he speaks Mandarin. He transforms into Cat Noir to make his search easier. Marinette's disappearance is on the news just as a civilian walks past her and Fei, prompting Fei to drag her into an alley. She pulls hats and glasses out of her bag; telling Marinette to put them on as well as the fact that she knows of a street full of pawn shops. They take a bike to Cash's store and introduce themselves to each other.
Cat Noir drops down in front of a startled civilian and introduces himself. The civilian, confused, asks what he's doing all the way in Shanghai. The superhero pulls out his staff with a picture of Marinette and tells the man he's searching for her. The man says he hasn't seen her but bids Cat Noir good luck.
Marinette laments that she doesn't know any Mandarin and asks Fei how she knows English (French). Fei explains that her father adored the language and wanted Fei to know it, as well as the fact that Wu Shifu's school had lost all the local customers and he wanted to teach Kung Fu to tourists before it got destroyed. Fei, upset, admits that she has become the exact opposite of what her father wanted. Marinette, confused, humorously asks if he wanted her to become a mean and selfish coward. She tells Fei that she was amazing brave, protecting a total stranger from the three boys. However, Fei doesn't agree. The two girls arrive at Cash's pawn shop.
Wang tries to call Marinette again, and gets her voicemail once more. He hangs up and Bastille tries to comfort him.
Marinette spots her earrings in Cash's shop window and alerts Fei, who feigns excitement. She begs Cash to give them back, hurriedly asking Fei to translate amidst her excitement. Cash interjects that translations won't be necessary. Tikki watches from inside the claw crane. Cash asks if the earrings are precious, and Marinette excitedly tells him that they are "infinitely precious", to which he then asks for 100,000 yuans to get them back. Marinette asks Fei if that's a lot of money, but Fei doesn't answer, angrily addressing Cash in Mandarin. Tikki listens in, realising that Cash took advantage of and lied to both girls just to get money. She discreetly flies out of the crane game and returns to Marinette, hiding behind her. Marinette hears her and assures her kwami that she'll get her out of the shop. Marinette assures Fei that she'll call Wang and ask him for the money, but still feels ashamed that she has to ask. She asks Cash for the number to the restaurant and he writes it down for her to call. Fei discreetly swaps the fake earrings in Marinette's pocket for the real ones while Cash is gone. Almost as soon as the call goes through, Fei angrily disconnects it and tells Marinette that they'll find another way to get the money. Cash tells the girls that if they want to get everything back they need to pay now, or he'll just sell them to the next customer. Fei begins to drag Marinette away, but Cash stops her, asking if she still wants to know what happened to her father and if she's forgotten who she is. She retorts that she just remembered and leaves.
Back outside, she gives Marinette the real earrings back, but Marinette is worried because she didn't want them back by stealing. She worries about Cash losing money from the sale, but Fei promises to explain everything and urges her to get on the bike. Cash takes the fake earrings off the table, turns around and realises that the "red plush toy" is gone. He then suspiciously looks at the earrings in his hand and inspects them realising that they are fake. He orders three men to chase the girls. They realise what's going on and Fei insists they run. The three men give chase but the girls manage to lose them. Marinette sees Tikki following her and has her hide in her jacket. Spotting an alley, Marinette quickly puts her earrings back on and attempts to transform, but Fei sees her and drags her back out to continue running. She says the men are dangerous; Marinette retorts that the others seemed dangerous too. Fei attempts to use Kung Fu on them, but the three boys show up to distract them, calling Fei a thief. Taking advantage of the distraction, she and Marinette run through an alley back out onto the streets. Fei notices the full moon in the sky.
Nearby, on top of a building, Cat Noir looks around and realises that the city is too big to look by himself. He realises he needs his partner decides to leave Ladybug a voicemail on his staff, telling her to meet him.
In the Prodigious cave, Gabriel is about to seek the Prodigious but Nooroo once again tries to dissuade him, to no avail. Fei and Marinette enter, and Gabriel turns and notices them, hiding behind a pillar to avoid being seen. Fei apologizes, admitting that she doesn't have much. Marinette notices the picture of Wu Shifu and begins to ask where he is. Fei sadly reveals to her that he disappeared with the school. She explains that unknown people tried everything to evict her and admits that they also stole her bracelet. She goes on to say that her bracelet has a power. Marinette asks who "they" are, but Fei says she doesn't know. She starts to admit that she was the one who stole Marinette's things, but Cash shows up and reveals it instead, breaking Marinette's trust in her. Marinette breaks down in tears, berating Fei. Cash threatens Marinette to call her uncle for the money; Fei uses Kung Fu to knock his phone out his hand. From behind the pillar, Gabriel recalls having Nathalie buy Fei's bracelet from Cash and transforms into Hawk Moth. He takes an akuma from his cane and sends it to an irate Cash, who is still threatening the girls for money. Fustrated, Fei kicks him into a pillar. Marinette notices the akuma heading for Cash and begins to sneak away. Fei grabs her arm, begging her to trust her. Marinette pulls away, telling her that all she's done is lie to her and runs away. The akuma lands in Cash's fan and he turns into King Cash; Fei notices and gasps in fear.
Tikki appears before Marinette and asks if she thinks Fei is being sincere. Marinette is unsure and transforms into Ladybug. Her yoyo beeps, and she opens it to listen to Cat Noir's voicemail. She smiles, then calls him. She asks if he's found Marinette, and he responds that he hasn't but with the two of them he's sure he will. Ladybug reveals that she saw an akuma, Cat Noir urgently says he'll be right there and hangs up.
Hawk Moth and King Cash approach the sacred cave's entrance. Fei tries to take on King Cash and deftly dodges his attacks. Hawk Moth grabs her arm and throws her. At the bottom of a massive spiral staircase, a light shines on the cave wall that hides the Prodigious. King Cash gets impatient, meanwhile Hawk Moth takes out Fei's bracelet. King Cash realises who bought Fei's bracelet from him and laughs maniacally. Fei and Ladybug catch up to them and hide nearby. The eclipse reaches its peak. A slot on the wall opens. Hawk Moth places the bracelet in the slot and it glows. Mei Shi appears and Ladybug is shocked and confused. Fei asks if she knew about it, to which she says no but if Hawk Moth wants it then she needs to stop him. She tells Fei to stay there and sneaks away. Hawk Moth grabs the Prodigious and orders King Cash to turn Mei Shi into a gold statue. Ladybug swoops in to wrap her yoyo around Hawk Moth's legs, catching him off guard and making him drop the Prodigious. Fei runs in and grabs the necklace. King Cash attacks Ladybug, forcing her to let Hawk Moth go to defend herself. While Ladybug struggles to fight King Cash, Fei picks up the Prodigious. Resolved, she decides to use it herself. She uses it to transform into Ladydragon. The renlings appear and greet Ladydragon. They reveal that only the Renren can see them. They explain that the Renren can use their power to transform into different animals, but only if she displays the virtues that they represent. Ladydragon uses Xiong's virtue of calmness to transform into a bear and uses her strength to knock both King Cash and Hawk Moth back. Ladybug thanks her and calls on her Lucky Charm, receiving a basketball. She looks around and realises she doesn't know what to use it for yet. Hawk Moth and King Cash advance and Ladybug chucks the basketball at Hawk Moth while Ladybear swipes at King Cash with her strength. He shoots more fan blades at her and she transforms into a mantis to dodge, then back to a bear and finally, a snake. Ladybug explains that Ladysnake needs to go for his fan and destroy it. Ladysnake attempts to use the Dragon's power, but fails. Mei Shi reveals that Ladydragon's intentions must be pure in order to use the dragon, and Ladydragon tells him that she wants revenge on those who destroyed her life. Mei Shi says that revenge is the opposite of the Dragon's values and that her intentions and judgements are clouded. Ladydragon transforms into Ladymonkey to take the fan and destroy it. However, she can't break it. King Cash flings her away and she lands in a nearby pool of water. King Cash uses his fan to slash at a massive pillar and it topples down over the water. Ladymonkey holds her breath and ducks under the water. Hawk Moth picks up the basketball and taunts Ladybug before tossing it to her. She backs up, afraid. She suddenly spots Cat Noir above them and gasps. She looks at him, then the Lucky Charm and finally, King Cash's fan. Ladybug raises the basketball to catch the fan, knocking it from King Cash's grasp. Cat Noir summons his Cataclysm and jumps down, destroying the fan. Hawk Moth yells in defeat as King Cash is deakumatized. Ladysnake slips out through a gap in the rocks and transforms back into a bear. Hawk Moth sends his akuma over to Mei Shi while Ladybug, Cat Noir and Ladybear look on, horrified. Mei Shi is akumatized into YanLuoShi. YanLuoShi breaks out of the cave, swearing that he will get the Prodigious back.
Hawk Moth leaps out after YanLuoShi and realises that he put Adrien in danger. He orders his victim to stop, but before he can finish, YanLuoShi blasts him, making him disappear. Ladybug and Ladydragon look horrified, but Cat Noir is confused as to whether their enemy's demise is good or bad. Ladybug notices that she only has a few minutes left and suggests that they meet up to think of a plan later. YanLuoShi continues his carnage, laying waste to the streets and sending the citizens into a panic. The three superheroes try to attack him, but are quickly defeated. They meet up behind a building and Ladydragon sadly admits that she is unworthy. Ladybug and Cat Noir try to convince her otherwise, but she transforms into a bird and flies away. Cat Noir suggests using Cataclysm. Ladybug protests but is unable to stop him. He charges towards YanLuoShi, but is blasted before he can do anything. Horrified, Ladybug swings away. She sees Fei land in front of another building and goes to comfort her as Marinette. She tries forgiving Fei, but Fei breaks down, admitting that she doesn't deserve forgiveness and that her father would be sad to see her fail. Marinette encourages her to do good like her father would want. YanLuoShi appears before them, prompting Fei to transform. He crumbles the ground beneath their feet and Ladydragon is finally able to transform into a dragon, using its power to save Marinette. She goes to confront Yan Luo Shi and uses the elements to battle him. Marinette transforms and summons her Lucky Charm. She gets a large Chinese looking vase. She looks around, seeing Ladydragon, the sea beneath YanLuoShi and her vase.
Ladydragon tries reasoning with YanLuoShi but is hit. Ladybug rescues her and reveals her plan. Ladydragon understands and confronts YanLuoShi again, offering the vase and surrounding it with water. She shoots it straight into his mouth. Ladybug hits the akumatized object with her yoyo, shattering it. Yan Luo Shi coughs up the akuma and the water with the vase containing Ladybug. Ladybug catches the akuma and purifies it. Mei Shi is deakumatized and is surprised that Fei was able to access the power of the dragon. He then notices the damages he caused. Ladybug fixes everything and runs over to Cat Noir to embrace him. Mei Shi tells Ladydragon that she now possesses all the required values and allows her to keep the Prodigious before returning to the cave.
Inside the cave, Cash is tied up and begging to be let go. He begs for his life and Fei confronts him, then allows justice to take its course rather than beating him up. The renlings congratulate her, and she transforms into Ladydragon, reclaiming her bracelet. A kwami like form of Mei Shi appears. Cat Noir says that the only thing left is to find Marinette. Ladybug nervously agrees. Ladydragon assured them that she is safe and transforms into a bird to take Cash to the authorities. Mei Shi follows them out.
Above the city, Astrocat and Cosmobug talk about heading home. Astrocat asks which way would be faster and suggests they find out right now. Cosmobug says that it's a great idea and they part ways, heading into different directions.
Back in the Thousand Delights, Fei explains to Marinette a birthday tradition in China. Wang says that the 60th birthday is usually the first one celebrated in China. Marinette is shocked that her great uncle has never celebrated his birthday before. Wang replies that he is happy to be able to celebrate with Marinette, as well as her "boyfriend" Adrien. Both of them get flustered and say they're just friends simultaneously. Marinette then insists that Wang open his gift, but just then, the doorbell rings. Marinette answers to find the three boys. She jumps in surprise and they finally reveal that they wanted to give her necklace back. Stuttering, Marinette expresses her gratitude. Wang calls out to Marinette insisting that the boys come in. Marinette walks back in to Wang holding his gift, an accordian. He reveals that he never learned how to play the accordian. Fei says she knows how to play it and offers to play it. Fei calls Marinette sister, asking if that is okay. Marinette says it's more than okay and asks how to say it in Mandarin. Marinette attempts the phrase and everyone laughs. She wonders what she said, only for Fei to reply that it is too embarrassing to translate. Adrien offers to teach her Mandarin when they get back home, and Marinette stumbles over her words. Fei comments that even her English sounds weird.
Marinette narrates that she found more than what she'd hoped for by coming to China. As she looks at Adrien, he returns her smile, only for her to blush and look away in panic before the endcard appears.
- To view a complete list of all the staff and cast that worked on the special, go to Miraculous Shanghai/Credits.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng/Ladybug/Cosmobug
- Adrien Agreste/Cat Noir/Astrocat
- Fei Wu/Ladydragon/Ladybear/Ladymantis/Ladysnake/Ladymonkey/Ladyeagle/Ladyhorse/Ladytiger
- Gabriel Agreste/Hawk Moth
- Long Long
- Tang Tang
- Xiong Xiong
- She She
- Hou Hou
- Ma Ma (non-speaking)
- Hu Hu (non-speaking)
- Ying Ying (non-speaking)
- Wang Cheng
- Cash/King Cash
- Mei Shi/YanLuoShi
- Wu Shifu (flashback)
- Ivan Bruel
- Caline Bustier (background)
- Nino Lahiffe
- Alya Césaire
- Nathaniel Kurtzberg
- Lila Rossi (background)
- Mylène Haprèle
- Chloé Bourgeois (background)
- Alix Kubdel
- Max Kanté
- Lê Chiến Kim
- Juleka Couffaine
- Rose Lavillant
- Sabrina Raincomprix (background)
- Sabine Cheng
- Adrien's bodyguard
- Nathalie Sancoeur
- Tom Dupain
- Marinette's Great-Great-Great Grandfather (mentioned)
- Chun Cheng (mentioned/pictured)
- Yen Cheng (mentioned/pictured)
- Shu Yin Cheng (pictured)
- Majestia (toy)
- Uncanny Valley (toy)
- Eagle (toy)
- Wang Fu (mentioned)
- TV News reporter
- Police officer
- This is the first special to use a cold opening.
- This is also the first episode to involve a lunar eclipse.
- This marks Cosmobug and Astrocat's first appearance.
- This marks the first time where an akumatized villain sees the damage they caused after they've been deakumatized.
- It is revealed that kwamis automatically know every single language.
- This is the second time where things are seen from a character's point of view following "Stormy Weather", "Oblivio" and "Miraculous New York".
- Tikki sees things in a pink tint, suggesting that Kwamis are partially colorblind.
- This movie has many strong references to the Kung Fu Panda franchise.
- Both movies have settings in China.
- Hou Hou, Hu Hu, She She, Tang Tang and Ying Ying represent the five values the Furious Five from the franchise had to learn to become great masters.
- Hu-Hu - Master Tigress
- Hou-Hou - Master Monkey
- She-She - Master Viper
- Tang-Tang - Master Mantis
- Ying-Ying - Master Crane
- Tai Lung and Fei were both children that were left at their adoptive father's doorstep, taught the ways of Kung Fu and believed to be the chosen ones.
- But unlike Tai Lung, Fei succeeded in being the chosen one.
- Both adopted children wanted revenge, Tai Lung for feeling betrayed by Shifu and Fei because she had everything taken from her but unlike Tai Lung she was able to let it go.
- When consumed by rage both Tai Lung and Mei Shi laid waste to the lands they were supposed to protect and yet were stopped by the heroes.
- Shifu and Fei had to take over their master's roles when their master passed away.
- It's also revealed that Sabine's original name was Xia Bing. She changed her name to Sabine after she moved to France.
- In the French version, Sabine's original name was pronounced as Xia Bing, however in the English version her name is pronounced as Chabine.
- The Prodigious was abandoned for the Miraculouses because the jewel's powers were too dangerous for anyone to control, implying that a long time ago someone tried to use its power but it ended with disastrous or unexpected results, similar to when the Absolute Power was used.
- Hawk Moth says that the power of the Prodigious is higher than the Miraculouses, meaning that it's older than the jewels. Which is confirmed by Thomas Astruc in Twitter saying that the jewel is a prototype for the Miraculouses since a scroll is seen in the end credits of someone using the Prodigious' powers, it implies that this was the 1st owner and that the jewel was used over 5,000 years ago before the Miraculouses were created.
- The episode was known as "Ladybug in Shanghai" when Jeremy Zag first announced the special. Its previous name, "The Chinese Legend", was revealed at the Miraculous Ladybug panel at SDCC 2016.
- During a Miraculous Ladybug Panel at Anime Expo 2016, it was revealed that one of the upcoming specials would be in 2D rather than the usual CGI style. This was later revealed to be "The Chinese Legend", since, if greenlit, the special would be too expensive to make in 3D.
- It is no longer true, the Shanghai special was made in 3D.
- Wang Fu appeared in one of the concept arts, but he didn't appear in the final version.
- He's indirectly mentioned by Marinette.
- Jeremy Zag revealed that Marinette will meet her maternal grandmother in this special.
- However, she did not appear physically. Only her photographs did.
- This is the third time Marinette and Tikki are separated following "Princess Fragrance" and "Sandboy".
- Also the second time Marinette is separated from her Miraculous following "Ladybug and Cat Noir".
- This is second time where Ladybug had to defeat a villain from the inside, following "Animan".
- This is the third time where Ladybug hides inside her Lucky Charm object following, "Santa Claws" and "Gigantitan".
- Where she had help in activating her Miraculous Ladybug (superpower) following "Frightningale" and "Reverser".
- This is the third time Hawk Moth loses control of his akumatized villain following "Robostus" and "Gigantitan".
- This special reveals that kwamis have "cousins" (creatures similar to them) named Renlings.
- According to Orion Ross, the special will play on one of Marinette's dualities: her Franco-Chinese origins, which may turn out to be very interesting.
- As of this episode Wang Cheng is 60 years old, and according to him people in China don't celebrate their next birthday until they turn said age and have long noodles called "longevity noodles" on their celebration which is a real life tradition in China.
- Fei being adopted by Wu Shifu resembles the real life tradition of many kids being adopted in or from China.
- Marinette and Fei accepting each other as honorary sisters is another real life tradition in China.
- This is one of the seven known episodes that are at least partly set in locations outside of Paris, including "Startrain", "Miraculous New York", "Miraculous Rio", "Miraculous Africa", "Miraculous London" and "Miraculous Japan".
- Near the end, Cat Noir asked Ladybug about going on a world tour, foreshadowing the future Miraculous World specials.
- The events of this special take place between season 2 and season 3.
- However, Lila appears to be attending Miss Bustier's class already, which sets the episode after "Chameleon".
- Adrien transforming into Cat Noir to look for Marinette is similar to what she did as Ladybug for Adrien in "Santa Claws".
- When Marinette arrives at Fei's place, Gabriel glares at her, implying that he had already made an alliance with Lila and that this episode happens after "Oni-Chan".
- Near the end Adrien was seen wearing Marinette's derby hat from "Style Queen".
- This is the second time Marinette's Kwagatama is seen since "Befana" but its "very important" function is still a mystery.
- That Marinette wears her kwagatama all the time, but it's hidden under her T-shirt.
- A mentioning of justice and revenge was also done in "Rogercop" and "Silencer".
- Marinette is shown not to know the difference between justice and revenge, while she's shown to have the knowledge in "Silencer", which could imply that the episode is after the special.
- In the webisode "Family", Marinette mentions that she hasn't met all other members of her family, which implies that it takes place before the special. Furthermore, as Marinette mentions that she has already met her grandfather, and clips from "Weredad" are used, which implies that the special is after both "Bakerix" and "Weredad".
- In the webisode "New Powers", Marinette mentions that she hasn't used the space power-up, and that she's used the Cat Miraculous, and has unified miraculouses prior to that episode. This would place "Miraculous Shanghai" after "Reflekdoll", and possibly "Kwamibuster".
- Taking all hints into consideration, the special is set between "Weredad" and "Silencer".
- One of the promotional posters for the special was made by Konrad Olchawa, a Polish freelance artist and a fan of Miraculous.
- The space power-up is shown for the first time but the color of the potion is unknown until "Miraculous New York".
- Starting this special and continuing in Season 4, Adrien's transformation theme is different, being higher pitched.
- It's revealed that the user of the Butterfly Miraculous can use the same akuma more than once to akumatize another person whether it is purified or not as seen in "Catalyst".
- The Butterfly Miraculous user can also akumatize spirits as well as long as said spirit is housed in a vessel.
- This is the second time were a character(s) is killed onscreen following, "Timebreaker".
- Even though it was seen off-screen this is first episode to result in the permanent death of a human character as it was done by another character who wasn't an akumatized villain.
- It's also the third time a Miraculous is destroyed onscreen following "Timebreaker" and "Queen Wasp".
- Fourth if counting that both the Rabbit and Cat Miraculouses that were destroyed in "Timebreaker".
- This is one of the several times where Marinette has a sad face during her transformation.
- But this time it wasn't because someone she cared about was in danger yet, she felt betrayed or wasn't so sure about the intentions of someone she thought was her friend.
- Hawk Moth shows concern for his plans once again following "Simon Says" and "Riposte".
- Fei having doubts to the point of giving up is similar to what Marinette did in "Origins", Gabriel in "Queen's Battle" and Adrien in "Miraculous New York".
- Both Cash and Hawk Moth acted as personality foils for Fei in the special, with her thinking that the destruction done was her fault when in reality it was caused by both Hawk Moth and Cash.
- Cash's desire to get what he wanted was so vast he used dirty tactics to get it which left Fei homeless and caused her to do the same.
- Hawk Moth was consumed with negative feelings about his own past to the point where he couldn't let it go and he didn't think about the consequences of his actions until it led to his demise, foreshadowing it happening again in "Cat Blanc". Since Hawk Moth was the one that paid Cash for the Sacred Cave Key that would make him also indirectly responsible for what happened to Fei.
- But unlike him, by choosing a better way and with the help of a friend, Fei was able to make amends for her mistakes not only leading to better choices for her but others as well.
- In many non-English dubs, how they speak the language was both explained and left unexplained:
- Wang Cheng speaks it to communicate with Marinette.
- Fei Wu speaks it because her father adored the language.
- This doesn't explain how some of the civilians speak the language.
- The French Dub suggests that one superhero fan may have learnt it for their admiration for Ladybug and Cat Noir as they recognized Cat Noir.
- Hawk Moth's transformation theme is once again changed.
- Hawk Moth is currently the only Miraculous Holder whose transformation sequence has been shown more than once, and each of the times it is shown, it is different in some way from the previous ones (music, clothes, expression etc).
- Near the end of the special, the song that Fei plays with the accordion is Le Temps des cerises.
- When Marinette checked Adrien's social media update on her phone after she gets inside the Thousand Delight's Restaurant, there's a photo of Adrien with Lian and Jiao that was taken by Kang. However, at the time when Marinette arrived at the restaurant, Adrien just left his hotel room to explore the city so he haven't met the vigilante boys yet.
- When Cat Noir shows the passerby a photo of Marinette, it's mirrored. In the following shots it's shown correctly.
- When Fei was running away from the three boys who saw that she was stealing from Marinette, Fei had a blue cap on her. However, Marinette still recognized that she was the girl the guys were chasing even though at that moment she wasn't wearing a blue cap.
- The clock face on the Custom House is rotated 30 degrees to the left (the 1 is on top instead of the 12), and it has a second hand, which the real Custom House doesn't have.
- When the vigilante boys are tackling Cash's thugs while Fei and Marinette are escaping from them, Kang's hair is miscolored white.
- When the akuma landed on Cash's fan, instead of it turning into a black color it had a black ether.
- When the akuma landed on Mei Shi's orb, it transformed directly into its akumatized design (black with purple designs), instead of being completely black.
- There are multiple errors in Marinette's transformation:
- The bottom right spot on her left earring is smaller than it is supposed to be.
- When she puts on her mask, she already has it on.
- After she puts on the mask, she has the Friendship Day badge from "Ikari Gozen".
- At the beginning of the transformation, she is sad, however, during her final pose, she's smiling.
- All errors were fixed when the episode was aired by Disney EMEA Channels.
- The first error is still present on the UK Disney+ release.
- All errors were fixed when the episode was aired by Disney EMEA Channels.
- One of the figurines Adrien's bodyguard owns is a figurine of Eagle. However, according to Thomas Astruc, it's an error, and that should have been a Sparrow figurine.
- Since a Sparrow figurine was supposed to be in the stand, that means Ladybug and Cat Noir haven't met the real Sparrow and Uncanny Valley yet. This means that this episode take place some point between Seasons 2 and 3 and before "Miraculous New York".
- After Ladybear hits King Cash, her mane disappears. However, after Ladybug uses her lucky charm, it reappears.
- When destroying King Cash's fan, Cat Noir's destructive powers start bubbling over his ring before he called on the power of Cataclysm.
- When Marinette finds Fei crying on a roof, she is wearing her purse, when it should've been at Cash's store.
- On the French credits, Ladybug's name is written as "Lady Bug".
- The Chinese scripts keep swapping from Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese in the signs in front of stores.
- The movie is set in Mainland China, Shanghai where they use Simplified Chinese as opposed to Traditional Chinese
- Alya's name is misspelled as "Ayla" in the end credits.
- Interestingly, the same mistake is present on the ones of "Miraculous New York".
- Mela Lee isn't listed in the English credits. As a result, both characters she voiced in the special (Tikki and Tang Tang) are also uncredited.
- When the script for the English dub is released on the official Miraculous Ladybug YouTube channel, there are a couple of errors:
- Fei's superhero identity is known as Renren, despite Thomas Astruc revealing on his Twitter that "Renren" is actually a status name similar to a Miraculous holder or a Guardian.
- Tang Tang the mantis renling is named "Tai Tai". However, it's unknown if "Tai Tai" was Tang Tang's original name before it was later changed during production.
- Astrocat is mistakenly labelled as "Cat Noir" when the script's action sentence reads, "Cat Noir, super relieved, goes on".
- Despite the fact that Cosmobug flies to a Shanghai alleyway to detransform, the scene heading mislabelled the scene she is in as "French neighborhood" instead of "Chinese neighborhood".
Click here to view the gallery.
- TF1 Youth Program Press Kit 2020-2021 [PDF]