This article is a stub. You can help the Miraculous Ladybug Wiki by expanding it.
Reason: Plot section incomplete.
|This article is about the special TV movie. You may be looking for the city or another Miraculous.|
|“||I'd like to see people as people, think of them as stories: their smallest pleasures, their greatest joys, their disappointments, their successes. That's how my adoptive father would have wanted me to see them.||”|
—Fei Wu, "Miraculous Shanghai"
"Miraculous World: Shanghai – The Legend of Ladydragon" (or simply "Miraculous Shanghai") is the 54-minute special TV movie of the Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. It premiered in the US on May 28, 2021 (at 8:00 p.m) on Disney Channel.
To join Adrien in Shanghai, Marinette is going to visit her uncle Wang who is celebrating his birthday. But, as soon as she arrives in China, her purse gets stolen with Tikki inside, whom she needs to secretly transform into Ladybug! Without money and alone in the immense city, Marinette accepts the help of a resourceful and street-smart girl, Fei. The two girls will ally and discover the existence of a new magical jewel, the Prodigious. Hawk Moth, also present in Shanghai, seeks to finding it since a long time...
On October 7, 2017, a crew member of the show mentioned that the special had been moved from Season 2 to one of the following seasons.
On May 29, 2019, Jeremy Zag revealed background concept art of Shanghai, although he didn't specifically reveal that the Shanghai concept art is for the upcoming promotional poster for this special. The caption of his post read: "New city. New Magical Object. New Hero. #zagheroez #ladydragon".
On March 1, 2020, it was confirmed the special is currently in production. SAMG is involved in the special's production.
On May 5, 2020, Jeremy Zag revealed that the production of special has started.
On June 15, 2020, Jeremy Zag revealed a new superhero, who will appear in this special.
On June 17, 2020, Jeremy Zag posted on his Instagram an official promotional poster for this special.
On July 1, 2020 the synopsis for the special was revealed during a TFOU conference.
On July 6, 2020 French news La Libre announced that TF1 will air New York and Shanghai specials at Christmas 2020.
On September 28, 2020, Thomas Astruc revealed the full title of the special to be "Miraculous World: Shanghai: The Legend of Ladydragon" in a comment to Le Figaro FR. He also stated that Marinette would reconnect with her Chinese roots in the special.
On October 5, 2020, Jeremy Zag posted on his Instagram a new image of the Renlings, but a few minutes later the post was removed. On October 8, Jeremy image posted again, but this time in color, with the caption "They are not Kwamis they are renlings, they can transform you into a wild animal you must control. Their owner is a very special person Ladybug and Cat Noir will meet in Shanghai! Coming very soon to you.".
On October 13, 2020, it was said that Miraculous Shanghai special will be released in the first quarter of 2021.
On October 28, 2020, Lindalee Rose confirms that the Shanghai special will come around March/April 2021.
On December 16, 2020, an English-language South Korean television network Arirang TV posted video on YouTube video from a visit to the SAMG Animation studio, where they've mentioned Miraculous as one of its projects and a little scene from the Shanghai special was shown: Tikki captured in a toy.
On January 19, 2021, the premiere of the Shanghai special was reconfirmed to be April 2021.
On March 13, 2021, the Brazilian TV channel Telecine Premium has announced they would air special on March 27, 2021.
On March 25, 2021, TFOU has released another teaser for the special.
On March 29, 2021, Jeremy Zag on Instagram posted a new scene with Ladydragon.
On April 3, 2021, the Spanish Disney Channel has released a teaser for the special.
The episode begins as Fei describes how Wu Shifu lost his students. The scene cuts to the school, somewhere in Shanghai, where the students leaving their former master, Wu Shifu, saying that their kung fu is not up to his teachings. Wu Shifu begs them to come back, saying that they still have so much to learn, but they leave anyway. Outside, we see that the students are given money by an unknown man, who's greedy and money-hungry and he glares evilly at Shifu and fans himself.
Wu Shifu was saddened, since the school was his life, and the students were like his children. Wu Shifu was also saddened and thinks that he has no family left to fill his legacy of protecting Prodigious. He lost all the hope and he is seen sitting on the chair, until he hears baby cries. He looks outside and sees young little girl named Fei crying, but she stops and smiles at seeing Wu Shifu, who smiles at her. Taking pity, Wu Shifu takes her in and teaches her kung fu and told her everything about protecting Prodigious. As she grows older and learns all of kung fu, Wu Shifu passed away and the school was destroyed, leaving Fei all of responsibility to protect cave. Later that night, while she was sleeping, her bracelet was taken by someone. When she wakes up after gasping in horror by nightmare, she realizes her bracelet was stolen and must do anything to reclaim it, no matter what it takes.
Meanwhile, in Paris, Marinette narrates of how she and Cat Noir must protect the city from Hawk Moth. One day, lovely summer vacation, Marinette learns that Adrien is going to Shanghai with his father and wants to come. Marinette knows that her great-uncle, Wang Cheng lives in Shanghai, and asks her parents that she wants to go to Shanghai. Her mother was ecstatic that her daughter's going to live up to the traditions of her family and asks Marinette to take the box to her uncle Wang for his 60th birthday.
In Shanghai, Wang Fu was happy that Marinette is with him on his 60th birthday and he takes her to his restaurant, Thousand Delights restaurant. There, she meets a parrot, Bastille. Wang introduces Marinette to his pet parrot, whom he has been with all of ancestors for centuries, even with Sabine's parents (Marinette's maternal grandparents) and Sabine's sister (Marinette's maternal aunt), even with Sabine herself in the early childhood. Marinette also learns that Sabine's name is Sabine (in French) and Sabina (in Chinese). Marinette asks Wang to take a walk. Although fearing for her safety, Wang reluctantly agrees.
Meanwhile, Agrestes arrive in Shanghai and Gabriel tells to himself that he has been seeking Prodigious for 15 years and he found it. In an apartment, Gabriel tells his son that he can have some fun in Shanghai, much to Adrien's joy. To ensure his safety, Gabriel sends his bodyguard to watch over Adrien. Adrien befriends three young men, Lian, Kang and Jiao. Marinette sees Adrien and goes after him, while waiting for traffic lights, Fei, who's disguised, steals her earrings, along with her purse, with Marinette not noticing.
Lian, along with his friends notice Fei's stealing, so they run after him, telling her to give the earrings back. Marinette notices this and believes that Fei is an innocent bypassing girl and Lian and friends are criminals threatening her. Determined to save her, Marinette decides to transform into Ladybug. However, much to her horror, all of her accessories and Tikki are missing, as she screams in horror and sadness.
At that time, in the street, Fei confronts the boys and defeats them without even physically touching them. Then she runs off, leaving them on the floor. They continues to chase her, but when Jiao notices the kwagatama on the floor, he decides to go in a different direction. Meanwhile, at Thousand Delights restaurant, Adrien is surprised to learn that Marinette is in Shanghai too.
Fei takes Marinette's stolen belongings (including earrings and Tikki) to Cash's sovereign shop, where she meets up with Cash, who wants Marinette to pay this off and tells her that he'll tell her the answer.
Marinette looks through the city to search for her belongings, but due to her missing phone for map and translations, it's unsuccessful.
- To view a complete list of all the staff and cast that worked on the special, go to Miraculous Shanghai/Credits.
- Marinette Dupain-Cheng/Ladybug/Cosmobug
- Adrien Agreste/Cat Noir/Astrocat
- Fei Wu/Ladydragon/Ladybear/Ladymantis/Ladysnake/Ladymonkey/Ladyeagle/Ladyhorse/Ladytiger
- Gabriel Agreste/Hawk Moth
- Long Long
- Tang Tang
- Xiong Xiong
- She She
- Hou Hou
- Ma Ma (non-speaking)
- Hu Hu (non-speaking)
- Ying Ying (non-speaking)
- Wang Cheng
- Cash/King Cash
- Mei Shi/YanLuoShi
- Wu Shifu (flashback)
- Ivan Bruel
- Caline Bustier (background)
- Nino Lahiffe
- Alya Césaire
- Nathaniel Kurtzberg
- Lila Rossi (background)
- Mylène Haprèle
- Chloé Bourgeois (background)
- Alix Kubdel
- Max Kanté
- Lê Chiến Kim
- Juleka Couffaine
- Rose Lavillant
- Sabrina Raincomprix (background)
- Sabine Cheng
- Adrien's bodyguard
- Nathalie Sancoeur
- Tom Dupain
- Marinette's Great-Great-Great Grandfather (mentioned)
- Chun Cheng (mentioned/pictured)
- Yen Cheng (mentioned/pictured)
- Shu Yin Cheng (pictured)
- Majestia (toy)
- Uncanny Valley (toy)
- Eagle (toy)
- Wang Fu (mentioned)
- TV News reporter
- Police officer
- This is the first special to use a cold opening.
- This is also the first episode to involve a lunar eclipse.
- This marks Cosmobug and Astrocat's first appearance.
- This marks the first time where an akumatized villain sees the damage they caused after they've been deakumatized.
- It is revealed that kwamis automatically know every single language.
- This is the second time where things are seen from a character's point of view following "Stormy Weather", "Oblivio" and "Miraculous New York".
- Tikki sees things in a pink tint, suggesting that Kwamis are partially colorblind.
- This movie has many strong references to the Kung Fu Panda franchise.
- Both movies have settings in China.
- Hou Hou, Hu Hu, She She, Tang Tang and Ying Ying represent the five values the Furious Five from the franchise had to learn to become great masters.
- Hu-Hu - Master Tigress
- Hou-Hou - Master Monkey
- She-She - Master Viper
- Tang-Tang - Master Mantis
- Ying-Ying - Master Crane
- Tai Lung and Fei were both children that were left at their adoptive father's doorstep, taught the ways of Kung Fu and believed to be the chosen ones.
- But unlike Tai Lung, Fei succeeded in being the chosen one.
- Both adopted children wanted revenge, Tai Lung for feeling betrayed by Shifu and Fei because she had everything taken from her but unlike Tai Lung she was able to let it go.
- When consumed by rage both Tai Lung and Mei Shi laid waste to the lands they were supposed to protect and yet were stopped by the heroes.
- Shifu and Fei had to take over their master's roles when their master passed away.
- It's also revealed that Sabine's original name was Xia Bing. She changed her name to Sabine after she moved to France.
- In the French version, Sabine's original name was pronounced as Xia Bing, however in the English version her name is pronounced as Chabine.
- The Prodigious was abandoned for the Miraculouses because the jewel's powers were too dangerous for anyone to control, implying that a long time ago someone tried to use its power but it ended with disastrous or unexpected results, similar to when the Absolute Power was used.
- Hawk Moth says that the power of the Prodigious is higher than the Miraculouses, meaning that it's older than the jewels. Which is confirmed by Thomas Astruc in Twitter saying that the jewel is a prototype for the Miraculouses since a scroll is seen in the end credits of someone using the Prodigious' powers, it implies that this was the 1st owner and that the jewel was used over 5,000 years ago before the Miraculouses were created.
- The episode was known as "Ladybug in Shanghai" when Jeremy Zag first announced the special. Its previous name, "The Chinese Legend", was revealed at the Miraculous Ladybug panel at SDCC 2016.
- During a Miraculous Ladybug Panel at Anime Expo 2016, it was revealed that one of the upcoming specials would be in 2D rather than the usual CGI style. This was later revealed to be "The Chinese Legend", since, if greenlit, the special would be too expensive to make in 3D.
- It is no longer true, the Shanghai special was made in 3D.
- Wang Fu appeared in one of the concept arts, but he didn't appear in the final version.
- He's indirectly mentioned by Marinette.
- Jeremy Zag revealed that Marinette will meet her maternal grandmother in this special.
- However, she did not appear physically. Only her photographs did.
- This is the third time Marinette and Tikki are separated following "Princess Fragrance" and "Sandboy".
- Also the second time Marinette is separated from her Miraculous following "Ladybug and Cat Noir".
- This is second time where Ladybug had to defeat a villain from the inside, following "Animan".
- This is the third time where Ladybug hides inside her Lucky Charm object following, "Santa Claws" and "Gigantitan".
- Where she had help in activating her Miraculous Ladybug (superpower) following "Frightningale" and "Reverser".
- This is the third time Hawk Moth loses control of his akumatized villain following "Robostus" and "Gigantitan".
- This special reveals that kwamis have "cousins" (creatures similar to them) named Renlings.
- According to Orion Ross, the special will play on one of Marinette's dualities: her Franco-Chinese origins, which may turn out to be very interesting.
- As of this episode Wang Cheng is 60 years old, and according to him people in China don't celebrate their next birthday until they turn said age and have long noodles called "longevity noodles" on their celebration which is a real life tradition in China.
- Fei being adopted by Wu Shifu resembles the real life tradition of many kids being adopted in or from China.
- Marinette and Fei accepting each other as honorary sisters is another real life tradition in China.
- This is one of the seven known episodes that are at least partly set in locations outside of Paris, including "Startrain", "Miraculous New York", "Miraculous Rio", "Miraculous Africa", "Miraculous London" and "Miraculous Japan".
- Near the end, Cat Noir asked Ladybug about going on a world tour, foreshadowing the future Miraculous World specials.
- The events of this special take place between season 2 and season 3.
- However, Lila appears to be attending Miss Bustier's class already, which sets the episode after "Chameleon".
- Adrien transforming into Cat Noir to look for Marinette is similar to what she did as Ladybug for Adrien in "Santa Claws".
- When Marinette arrives at Fei's place, Gabriel glares at her, implying that he had already made an alliance with Lila and that this episode happens after "Oni-Chan".
- Near the end Adrien was seen wearing Marinette's derby hat from "Style Queen".
- This is the second time Marinette's Kwagatama is seen since "Befana" but its "very important" function is still a mystery.
- That Marinette wears her kwagatama all the time, but it's hidden under her T-shirt.
- A mentioning of justice and revenge was also done in "Rogercop" and "Silencer".
- Marinette is shown not to know the difference between justice and revenge, while she's shown to have the knowledge in "Silencer", which could imply that the episode is after the special.
- In the webisode "Family", Marinette mentions that she hasn't met all other members of her family, which implies that it takes place before the special. Furthermore, as Marinette mentions that she has already met her grandfather, and clips from "Weredad" are used, which implies that the special is after both "Bakerix" and "Weredad".
- In the webisode "New Powers", Marinette mentions that she hasn't used the space power-up, and that she's used the Cat Miraculous, and has unified miraculouses prior to that episode. This would place "Miraculous Shanghai" after "Reflekdoll", and possibly "Kwamibuster", although it's not mentioned whether "Kwamibuster" is the first time that she unifies miraculouses.
- Taking all hints into consideration, the special is set between "Weredad" and "Silencer".
- One of the promotional posters for the special was made by Konrad Olchawa, a Polish freelance artist and a fan of Miraculous.
- The space power-up is shown for the first time but the color of the potion is unknown until "Miraculous New York".
- Starting this special and continuing in Season 4, Adrien's transformation theme is different, being higher pitched.
- It's revealed that the user of the Butterfly Miraculous can use the same akuma more than once to akumatize another person whether it is purified or not as seen in "Catalyst".
- The Butterfly Miraculous user can also akumatize spirits as well as long as said spirit is housed in a vessel.
- This is the second time were a character(s) is killed onscreen following, "Timebreaker".
- Even though it was seen off-screen this is first episode to result in the permanent death of a human character as it was done by another character who wasn't an akumatized villain.
- It's also the third time a Miraculous is destroyed onscreen following "Timebreaker" and "Queen Wasp".
- Fourth if counting that both the Rabbit and Cat Miraculouses that were destroyed in "Timebreaker".
- This is one of the several times where Marinette has a sad face during her transformation.
- But this time it wasn't because someone she cared about was in danger yet, she felt betrayed or wasn't so sure about the intentions of someone she thought was her friend.
- Hawk Moth shows concern for his plans once again following "Simon Says" and "Riposte".
- Fei having doubts to the point of giving up is similar to what Marinette did in "Origins", Gabriel in "Queen's Battle" and Adrien in "Miraculous New York".
- Both Cash and Hawk Moth acted as personality foils for Fei in the special, with her thinking that the destruction done was her fault when in reality it was caused by both Hawk Moth and Cash.
- Cash's desire to get what he wanted was so vast he used dirty tactics to get it which left Fei homeless and caused her to do the same.
- Hawk Moth was consumed with negative feelings about his own past to the point where he couldn't let it go and he didn't think about the consequences of his actions until it led to his demise, foreshadowing it happening again in "Cat Blanc". Since Hawk Moth was the one that paid Cash for the Sacred Cave Key that would make him also indirectly responsible for what happened to Fei.
- But unlike him, by choosing a better way and with the help of a friend, Fei was able to make amends for her mistakes not only leading to better choices for her but others as well.
- In many non-English dubs, how they speak the language was both explained and left unexplained:
- Wang Cheng speaks it to communicate to Marinette.
- Fei Wu speaks it because her father adored the language.
- This doesn't explain how some of the civilians speak the language.
- The French Dub suggests that one superhero fan may have learnt it for their admiration for Ladybug and Cat Noir as they recognized Cat Noir.
- Hawk Moth's transformation theme is once again changed.
- Hawk Moth is currently the only Miraculous Holder whose transformation sequence has been shown more than once, and each of the times it is shown, it is different in some way from the previous ones (music, clothes, expression etc).
- Near the end of the special, the song that Fei plays with the accordion is Le Temps des cerises.
- When Marinette checked Adrien's social media update on her phone after she gets inside the Thousand Delight's Restaurant, there's a photo of Adrien with Lian and Jiao that was taken by Kang. However, at the time when Marinette arrived at the restaurant, Adrien just left his hotel room to explore the city so he haven't met the vigilante boys yet.
- When Cat Noir shows the passerby a photo of Marinette, it's mirrored. In the following shots it's shown correctly.
- When Fei was running away from the three boys who saw that she was stealing from Marinette, Fei had a blue cap on her. However, Marinette still recognized that she was the girl the guys were chasing even though at that moment she wasn't wearing a blue cap.
- The clock face on the Custom House is rotated 30 degrees to the left (the 1 is on top instead of the 12), and it has a second hand, which the real Custom House doesn't have.
- When the vigilante boys are tackling Cash's thugs while Fei and Marinette are escaping from them, Kang's hair is miscolored white.
- When the akuma landed on Cash's fan, instead of it turning into a black color it had a black ether.
- When the akuma landed on Mei Shi's orb, it transformed directly into its akumatized design (black with purple designs), instead of being completely black.
- There are multiple errors in Marinette's transformation:
- The bottom right spot on her left earring is smaller than it is supposed to be.
- When she puts on her mask, she already has it on.
- After she puts on the mask, she has the Friendship Day badge from "Ikari Gozen".
- At the beginning of the transformation, she is sad, however, during her final pose, she's smiling.
- All errors were fixed when the episode was aired by Disney EMEA Channels.
- One of the figurines Adrien's bodyguard owns is a figurine of Eagle. However, according to Thomas Astruc, it's an error, and that should have been a Sparrow figurine.
- Since a Sparrow figurine was supposed to be in the stand, that means Ladybug and Cat Noir haven't met the real Sparrow and Uncanny Valley yet. This means that this episode take place some point between Seasons 2 and 3 and before "Miraculous New York".
- After Ladybear hits King Cash, her mane disappears. However, after Ladybug uses her lucky charm, it reappears.
- When destroying King Cash's fan, Cat Noir's destructive powers start bubbling over his ring before he called on the power of Cataclysm.
- When Marinette finds Fei crying on a roof, she is wearing her purse, when it should've been at Cash's store.
- On the French credits, Ladybug's name is written as "Lady Bug".
- The Chinese scripts keep swapping from Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese in the signs in front of stores.
- The movie is set in Mainland China, Shanghai where they use Simplified Chinese as opposed to Traditional Chinese
- Alya's name is misspelled as "Ayla" in the end credits.
- Interestingly, the same mistake is present on the ones of "Miraculous New York".
- Mela Lee isn't listed in the English credits. As a result, both characters she voiced in the special (Tikki and Tang Tang) are also uncredited.
- When the script for the English dub is released on the official Miraculous Ladybug YouTube channel, there're a couple of errors:
- Fei's superhero identity is known as Renren, despite Thomas Astruc revealed on his Twitter that "Renren" is actually a status name similar to a Miraculous holder or a Guardian.
- Tang Tang the mantis renling is named "Tai Tai". However, it's unknown if "Tai Tai" was Tang Tang's original name before it was later changed during production.
- Astrocat is mistakenly labelled as "Cat Noir" when the script's action sentence reads, "Cat Noir, super relieved, goes on".
- Despite Cosmobug flies to a Shanghai alleyway to detransform, the scene heading mislabeled the scene she's in as "French neighborhood" instead of "Chinese neighborhood".
Click here to view the gallery.
- TF1 Youth Program Press Kit 2020-2021 [PDF]