|“||I only tell people what they want to hear.||”|
—Lila , "Chameleon"
Lila Rossi is an Italian student in Miss Bustier's class at Collège Françoise Dupont and the tertiary antagonist of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. Her lying behavior tends to cause great trouble for Ladybug and Cat Noir.
In "Volpina", after Ladybug humiliates her in front of Adrien Agreste by exposing her lies about the both of them being close friends and her owning the Fox Miraculous, she is akumatized by Hawk Moth into Volpina, a fox-themed supervillain who is a master of illusions.
In "Heroes' Day", after Gabriel Agreste calls Volpina a false hero in comparison to Ladybug on TV, she is once again akumatized as Volpina. Afterwards she takes part in Hawk Moth's plan to acquire the Ladybug and Cat Miraculouses.
Later in "Chameleon", in order to get revenge on Ladybug again, she willingly becomes akumatized into Chameleon, a shape-shifting supervillain.
Lila stands at average height with olive green eyes and long, hip-length chestnut brown hair with bangs similar to a horse mane. Her hair is loosely tied at the tips with orange bands where she has two shorter strands of hair.
She has red-orange wristbands on her right arm. She wears a red-orange jacket over a dark gray romper that has tiny white spots. Additionally, she wears light gray tights and brown high heel boots.
Volpina wears an orange mask with black edges, and her hair bands are black. On top of her head, two fake orange ears with white and black insides are attached. The top of her hair is black and then ombrés down to light brown with the tips of her hair being white. She also has orange lipstick. The necklace with a fox tail hanging off of it is worn around her neck. Her outfit is orange with a white section going down the front. Wrapped around her waist is an orange sash that looks like a fox tail. The edges of her collar and the tops of her upper arms have black lines, and her forearms and lower legs are solid black, with the soles of her feet being white with an orange fox foot printed on each. Her weapon is a replica of the flute staff.
After being akumatized into Chameleon, she retains her normal form. However, with her shape-shifting abilities, she can change it into whatever she kisses
Lila is proud and loves attention, which she is willing to obtain by lying. This even means going beyond words to support her lies, like buying a necklace that looks like the Fox Miraculous to convince Adrien telling that she is a descendant of the fox-themed superhero. She gets jealous if someone gets more attention or love than her and doesn't like it when someone reveals that her lies aren't true, showing no remorse for lying in the first place. If anyone attempts to expose her, she won't hesitate to try to make them miserable or break them down just to get them out of her way. She also doesn't take advice from those who try to make peace with her or encourage her to be honest like Ladybug or Adrien.
Lila doesn't easily forgive people who she feels wronged her, as she is still furious at Ladybug for ratting her out harshly and ruining her chance to woo Adrien. Asides her lying ability, her desire for vengeance is so great that Gabriel Agreste actually decided to form a formal alliance with her, not just akumatize her. It is briefly implied that a part of Lila's negativity comes from her mother, who, according to the message she sent Lila at the beginning of the episode, suggests she isn't home very often. On the other hand, her room is rather nice, also implying that she was often granted whatever material items she desired. It is likely that a combination of her lack of parental supervision and being showered with gifts means that she is used to having things her way, as she says that she always gets her way in the same episode.
As Volpina, her personality is still intact, while additionally determined to get revenge on Ladybug. Wanting to make Ladybug suffer, she nearly convinced Ladybug to give up her earrings twice, almost tricking her with illusions of people she threatened to hurt, like civilians and Adrien.
As Chameleon, because she is akumatized voluntarily, her personality still remains the same, using her powers to get even with the ones that she believes wronged her, like when she takes Adrien's form to make him look bad and at the same time to lead Ladybug into a "trap". Her desire to defeat Ladybug is so great that she rather advance to battle her than take an unconscious Cat Noir's Miraculous to Hawk Moth.
As a civilian
Lila is a very crafty and sneaky liar. She is able to use her lies to manipulate people into doing what she wants. When this doesn't work, she tries to make others feel pity for her and manipulate them emotionally. Even Tikki, a creature of hundreds of years, thinks that Lila has lied better than anyone she met before.
Like Rena Rouge, Volpina can play a tune on her flute with an idea in mind to create a glowing orange ball of energy. She can throw the orange ball of energy anywhere with her flute and create whatever incredibly lifelike illusion that she wants. However, the illusions are intangible, and when touched will disappear in an orange cloud.
Volpina's flute is long enough to wield as a staff.
Chameleon can transform into another person after kissing them, causing her victim to fall unconscious. As long she remains in their form, her victims remain unconscious. Once Chameleon takes another form, they wake up. When turned into a Miraculous holder, Lila is able to use their powers, like when she fights Ladybug in Cat Noir's form and her power allowed her to utilize Cataclysm.
= Gender Unknown
Lila isn't above lying to her own mother, which is evident in "Catalyst", when she tells her that Adrien is her boyfriend and the school closed down from all the akuma attacks. However, Lila doesn't appear to be very close with her mother because she is always left alone as a result of her mother's busy job schedule, leaving her disheartened and using lies to cover up that loneliness.
In "Catalyst", when Marinette attempts to expose Lila's lies about being invited by Prince Ali to his palace by pointing out that he is in the USA, Lila merely tells her that Prince Ali wasn't actually with them. In “Chameleon”, though Marinette continues to try to expose Lila as a liar, she is always able to come up with another lie to explain. She takes note of how Marinette doesn't seem to like her yet still tries to be her friend, but Marinette refuses, revealing that she is aware of her deceitful nature. Lila then threatens Marinette, warning her that if she continues to try and expose her, she will turn all of her friends and classmates against her. She gives her until the end of class to decide whether she's with her or against her. When Marinette unintentionally gets Lila stuck sitting in the back row, she tells Marinette that she made her decision and from now on, the two of them are at war. She vows to make Marinette lose all her friends and make Adrien hers, though when Marinette responds calmly to Lila's threat, she walks away in a huff. In "Oni-Chan", seeing Marinette in a pile of trash Lila proposed of taking a picture to post online but she opted against it, deeming it too easy.
In "Volpina", Lila lies about knowing Ladybug and being friends with her, but after Ladybug humiliates her in the park while she is trying to impress Adrien, she starts to hold a grudge against her. Despite Ladybug apologizing after de-evilizing her, she won't forgive her, angrily declaring that they will never be friends. She appears to be able to tell that Ladybug is interested in Adrien, which she uses to her advantage as Volpina to trick Ladybug into thinking she will drop Adrien from the Eiffel Tower if she doesn't give her the Ladybug Miraculous.
In "Catalyst", it is shown that Lila still bears a grudge against Ladybug and is irked by everyone celebrating her. Therefore, she takes a lot of enjoyment as Volpina in ruining her reputation with an illusion of an akumatized Ladybug destroying Cat Noir with his own Cataclysm.
In "Chameleon", Lila allows herself to get akumatized by Hawk Moth in order to get revenge against Ladybug. When deakumatized, she pretends to accept Ladybug as a friend and take her advice, though deep down she still resents her. In "Oni-Chan", despite Ladybug trying to save her, she continues harboring a grudge against her, pretending to trust her, tricking Oni-Chan into attacking her, and faking an injury just to get her alone with the akumatized villain.
Lila very quickly becomes infatuated with Adrien, doing everything she can to win him over. Unlike Marinette, Chloé and Kagami who have a big crush on Adrien, she doesn't have feelings for him and often uses him just to get more attention, which proves that she is an unscrupulous opportunist. When Ladybug exposes her lies in front of him, she is very upset and angry at the thought that she has lost every chance with him, leading to her getting akumatized. The first thing she does as Volpina is to change an advertising board of Ladybug to one of her saving Adrien, with an arrow piercing a heart as the background. Later, she finds him and reveals herself to prove to him that she is a superhero like she said she was. She becomes miffed when, after telling Ladybug that they were on a date, Adrien responds that it wasn't really a date, though he immediately says that it could have become one to avoid making her angry. She even lies about him being her boyfriend to her mother. In "Chameleon", Lila is aware that Adrien knows about her lies and is urged by him to be honest but she rebuffs him and she uses her new powers as Chameleon to make him look bad in front of Nino and Alya.
In "Oni-Chan", Lila dupes Adrien into spending time with her under the guise of needing help with homework and manipulates her way inside the Agreste mansion. She goes through Adrien's stuff and is irked that he is still a fan of Ladybug and took a picture with him to make everyone believe they're an item. After Kagami's akumatization, Lila attempted to apologize to Adrien for the trouble she caused and yet was told she could count on him unless she hurt his loved ones.
While viewing Cat Noir as an enemy, Lila doesn't hate him like Ladybug, even complimenting his costume as part of her ruse in "Volpina". Furthermore, in "Chameleon", even though she had him at her mercy, she chose to go after Ladybug instead of taking his Miraculous. In "Oni-Chan", she faked an injury in order to lure him away from Ladybug, and later tried to lie to him again once her deception was discovered, though failed to convince him.
Lila doesn't care about her classmates and views them as people that she can easily fool and manipulate. She has no problem lying to them in order to gain their attention or trick them into doing what she wants. In "Volpina", she makes up various false tales about herself so that she is the center of attention. In "Catalyst", Lila continues her deceit by telling her classmates that she isn't attending school because she is on vacation in the Kingdom of Achu when really she is hiding in her room. In "Chameleon", she returns to class and uses her lies to get whatever she wants, like having a seat next to Adrien and having everyone get her lunch for her.
In "Catalyst", Lila is furious when Gabriel insults her akumatized identity on a TV interview, so much so that she throws her laptop against a wall in anger. Despite this, in "Oni-Chan", when Adrien tells her that his father would never allow her to come over to his place, Lila remained confident that she could change his mind. When she sees Gabriel for the first time, she tells him that she's a fan before leaving the mansion.The next day, she receives a call from Gabriel and is invited to his house, where he expresses scorn over the fact that she entered his home through lies and manipulation, though she claims that she only wanted to help Adrien as he is kept isolated most of the time. When Gabriel asks her what she'd do if she were in his place, Lila says that she'd allow Adrien to have a friend his age to protect him from bad influences. The two then shake hands and form somewhat of an alliance, though Lila remains unaware of the fact that he's Hawk Moth. From that point on, Lila continues to report to Gabriel about his son’s life, though she is unaware that he is really using her to further his own goals by akumatizing the people around her, as seen in "Miraculer".
Regarding Hawk Moth, while Lila doesn't know him personally, she does seem to like him to some extent as he can give her the power she desires to destroy Ladybug. In "Catalyst", she is delighted when Hawk Moth reakumatizes her into Volpina and, after using her illusion powers to make it look as if an akumatized Ladybug destroyed Cat Noir, she tells Hawk Moth that she'll be waiting for him to reakumatize her again. She also participates in his plan to defeat Ladybug and Cat Noir by creating an illusion of him in "Mayura". In "Chameleon", she even grabs an akuma she spots and directly asks Hawk Moth to akumatize her.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Absent|
|1. "The Bubbler":||Absent||14. "Princess Fragrance":||Absent|
|2. "Mr. Pigeon":||Absent||15. "Ladybug & Cat Noir":||Absent|
|3. "Stormy Weather":||Absent||16. "Stoneheart":||Absent|
|4. "Timebreaker":||Absent||17. "Animan":||Absent|
|5. "Copycat":||Absent||18. "Simon Says":||Absent|
|6. "The Pharaoh":||Absent||19. "Pixelator":||Absent|
|7. "Lady Wifi":||Absent||20. "Guitar Villain":||Absent|
|8. "The Evillustrator":||Absent||21. "Kung Food":||Absent|
|9. "Rogercop":||Absent||22. "Gamer":||Absent|
|10. "Dark Cupid":||Absent||23. "Reflekta":||Absent|
|11. "Horrificator":||Absent||24. "The Puppeteer":||Absent|
|12. "Darkblade":||Absent||25. "Antibug":||Absent|
|13. "The Mime":||Absent||26. "Volpina":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Absent|
|1. "Santa Claws":||Absent||14. "Frightningale":||Absent|
|2. "The Collector":||Mentioned||15. "Syren":||Absent|
|3. "Prime Queen":||Absent||16. "Zombizou":||Absent|
|4. "Despair Bear":||Absent||17. "Frozer":||Absent|
|5. "Riposte":||Absent||18. "Style Queen":||Animation Error|
|6. "Befana":||Absent||19. "Troublemaker":||Absent|
|7. "Robostus":||Absent||20. "Queen Wasp":||Animation Error|
|8. "The Dark Owl":||Absent||21. "Reverser":||Absent|
|9. "Gigantitan":||Absent||22. "Anansi":||Absent|
|10. "Glaciator":||Absent||23. "Malediktator":||Absent|
|11. "Sapotis":||Mentioned||24. "Sandboy":||Absent|
|12. "Gorizilla":||Absent||25. "Catalyst":||Appears|
|13. "Captain Hardrock":||Absent||26. "Mayura":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Absent|
|1. "Chameleon":||Appears||?. "Reflekdoll":||Absent|
|2. "Animaestro":||Absent||?. "Desperada":||Absent|
|3. "Bakerix":||Absent||?. "Startrain":||Appears|
|4. "Backwarder":||Absent||?. "Kwamibuster":||Appears|
|5. "Gamer 2.0":||Appears||?. "Feast":||Absent|
|6. "Weredad":||Absent||?. "Stormy Weather 2":||Absent|
|7. "Silencer":||Absent||?. "Timetagger":||Appears|
|8. "Oni-Chan":||Appears||?. "Ikari Gozen":||Absent|
|9. "Miraculer":||Appears||?. "Cat Blanc":||Unknown|
|10. "Oblivio":||Background||?. "Félix":||Unknown|
|11. "Party Crasher":||Absent||?. "Ladybug":||Appears|
|12. "Christmaster":||Absent||25. "Heart Hunter":||Absent|
|13. "The Puppeteer 2":||Pictured||26. "Miracle Queen":||Absent|
|1. "Marinette in Paris":||Absent||15. "Nino":||Absent|
|2. "Marinette and Fashion":||Absent||16. "Max":||Absent|
|3. "Ladybug as seen by Adrien":||Absent||17. "Mylène":||Absent|
|4. "Ladyblog":||Absent||18. "Rose":||Absent|
|5. "Adrien's Double Life":||Absent||19. "Alix":||Absent|
|6. "Marinette and Alya":||Absent||20. "Sabrina":||Absent|
|7. "Marinette's Double Life":||Absent||21. "Ivan":||Absent|
|8. "Cat Noir as seen by Marinette":||Absent||22. "Marinette as seen by Chloé":||Absent|
|9. "My Birthday Party":||Absent||23. "Lila":||Appears|
|10. "Marinette and Adrien":||Absent||? "Chloé as seen by Marinette":||Unknown|
|11. "Master Fu":||Absent||? "Gabriel":||Unknown|
|12. "Tikki":||Background||? "Nathaniel & Marc":||Unknown|
|13. "Plagg":||Absent||? "Kagami as seen by Marinette":||Unknown|
|Tales from Paris|
|1. "The Notebook":||Absent||4. "Busy Day":||Absent|
|2. "Inspiration":||Absent||5. "Homework Essay":||Absent|
|Super Lady Luck:||Absent||Miraculous Mission Ladybug:||Absent|
|Throwdown!:||Absent||Ladybug Contra os Vilões:||Absent|
|Miraculous Ladybug & Cat Noir:||Appears||Miraculous Crush:||Absent|
- The name Lila means "beauty". Maybe the name Lila was chosen because it contains the syllable li-, which is pronounced "lie", in connection with all the lies that Lila tells.
- In the Brazilian dub, her name is changed to Layla.
- The surname Rossi means "red" in Italian.
- Her surname also reference to Valentino Rossi. A Motogp rider with 9 world championships since his debut back in 1996.
- As seen in "Catalyst", Lila's room is decorated with masks, which symbolize hiding truth.
- Volpina is similar to the word volpe, which is Italian for "fox". The suffix "-ina" indicates "small" and is often used in feminine names among friends, as a form of nickname or pet name. Roughly translated, "Volpina" means "Vixen" or "Small Fox" in Italian.
- Lila was first revealed when Wilfried Pain posted a drawing of her as Volpina on his Twitter. When a fan page on Facebook shared the image, Thomas Astruc added a comment where he revealed her akumatized name.
- Later, Thomas posted a picture on Twitter as a sneak peak of Lila (as Volpina) with the caption "Una ragazza italiana in Pariggi," meaning "An Italian girl in Paris."
- When Mélody Cisinski was asked on Tumblr if Volpina would show up eventually before Season 1 ended, she replied "yes and no."
- Thomas noted that he intentionally made Lila to be unlovable.
- Volpina's abilities are based on the Fox Miraculous holder and Rena Rouge's powers, similar to how Copycat has Cat Noir's powers, Antibug has powers similar to Ladybug's and Queen Wasp is similar to Queen Bee.
- Lila tells several stories assumed to be lies:
- She knows Prince Ali and flew with him in his private jet.
- Jagged Stone wrote a song about Lila.
- Lila knows all of the Hollywood directors. She promised she'd introduce Nino to Steven Besielberg.
- Ladybug saved Lila's life, and the two of them are best friends.
- Lila loves superheroes.
- She is the descendant of a Fox Miraculous holder seen in the Miraculous spellbook, calling her Volpina. According to Lila, Volpina is "one of the most important superheroes, more powerful and celebrated than Ladybug." Lila also claimed her grandmother gave her the Fox Miraculous.
- In the French dubbed version, she tells Alya that her parents are diplomats and that she has traveled a lot.
- As Volpina, most of the things she says are lies. For example, she tells Adrien and all of Paris that she is a true superhero.
- She has a close relationship with prince Ali.
- She saved Jagged Stone's kitten.
- She knows a famous manga artist.
- Based on Lila's behavior and mindset, she has a classic case of anti-social personality disorder, a mental disorder characterized when a person is unable to feel empathy to others and only understands emotions that affect themselves, such as gratification.
- Despite her claims of being a descendant of a fox-themed superheroine being false, Lila physically looks like the holder of the Fox Miraculous illustrated in the Miraculous spellbook.
- She is the first akumatized villain to have amplified Miraculous superpowers, as it's revealed in "Timetagger" that prolonged and multiply use of said powers only occur when a holder grows into an adult.
- She is the the third akumatized villain who doesn't appear in the theme song or its animatic in Season 1. The others are Animan and Kung Food, both of whom appear in the animatic.
- Lila is the only known person, besides Hawk Moth and Mayura, that sees Ladybug as her enemy even while not akumatized.
- Lila is the first previously akumatized victim to be reakumatized with the same supervillain identity but with a different akuma.
- Also, the akuma which affects her is the only seen akuma to be de-evilized by Hawk Moth himself and removed onscreen.
- Lila's smirk after being de-evilized in "Catalyst" implies she may have been the first person to be willingly akumatized other than Hawk Moth himself and his assistant Nathalie.
- Lila is the second person getting akumatized voluntarily, but the first to direct the akuma to an object.
- She is also the first akumatized victim to introduce herself to Hawk Moth instead of the other way around.
- Her powers both as Volpina and Chameleon have to do with lies and deception.
- Her name and abilities as the latter may also be based on the Spider-Man villain Chameleon.
- Despite her third akumatization being caused by Scarlet Moth, she didn't have a red-colored appearance.
- According to Thomas, this was an animation error.
- In "Style Queen", Lila appears in the audience, but according to Thomas Astruc, it was actually an animation mistake and she wasn't supposed to be in the episode or its use as a clip in "Queen Wasp".
- Every time Lila gets deakumatized, she is on the Eiffel Tower.
- Lila is the second person to rival Marinette for Adrien's affections, behind Chloé Bourgeois.
- Also, it is interesting to note that while Chloé becomes progressively more heroic over the course of the series, especially during "Malediktator", Lila, on the other hand, becomes much more antagonistic and dangerous than Chloé over the course of the series.
- This has not been officially confirmed on the show.
- Volpina appears another time in "Gamer 2.0" for Gamer's powers.
- A statue of Volpina appears in the Musée Grévin in "The Puppeteer 2".
- Lila's akumatization into Chameleon marks the first time a villain doesn't change their appearance upon akumatization; however, this quickly changes after she uses her powers on Adrien.
Click here to view the gallery.