|Major Spoiler Warning|
This page contains major spoilers from episodes that may not have aired in the US yet.
|“||And I was [the best], everywhere I went.||”|
Kagami Tsurugi is a Japanese student at Collège Françoise Dupont who appears in Season 2 of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir who attracts the attention of Adrien Agreste as a rival in fencing.
Kagami is a slender pale-skinned Japanese teenager of average height with short dark blue hair swept to the left that has light blue reflections, sharp yellow-brown eyes and visible freckles.
Kagami wears a white long-sleeved blazer that has black outlines around the collar, running down across her waist all the way to the bottom to the hem, cuffs and two black accents on the top of the fastened outer pockets. The blazer also has two gold pockets around the waist and each side of the cuffs. On the top right of her chest is an attached logo that is shaped as a reuleaux triangle. The logo includes her family's crest, with the gold sign of Japanese kanji for female (女) fastened on top of green, white and red fabric with a gold outline surrounding the logo. Underneath, Kagami wears a black collared blouse with many gold buttons. Attached to the collar is a red tie with blue parallel lines which intersects with each other.
Moreover, Kagami wears a red skirt with an asymmetrical texture that has blue and white intersecting vertical and horizontal lines. She wears tight black leggings and a pair of red sneakers with white toecaps, laces, a black logo on the heel counter and black soles.
On the ring finger of her right hand, she wears a black ring that has her family's crest (女) and it has two long outward spikes stretching from the mark.
Riposte's face and skin is silver with red eyes. She has a silver helmet with angular sides and a red circle on the center of the forehead with the Tsurugi crest. Her body outfit is silver armor; a breastplate, pauldrons and tassets while her arms and legs are solid silver and she wears silver high-heel shoes. Her right hand seems to be or holds a sword-like extension with a triangular guard and a red circle bearing the Tsurugi crest on the center of the guard.
As Oni-Chan she has a white outfit with an image of a rose that has a thorn sticking out from the top of the flower, red spikes on the shoulders, a red unicorn's horn, and spider like mandibles.
As RyukoAs Ryuko, she wears a red bodysuit with an image of a black rose with a yellow outlining envolving her from her left leg to her chest with the flower holding the images that represent the three elements she controls: lightning, air and water. She also has a black collar/turtleneck (where she has her choker), black forearm-length gloves and black legs starting at a point in the middle of her lower legs, both with yellow outlining. On the back of her head, she has four red dragon like horns with yellow tips with black outlining and, on her back, she has a holder for her sword. On her face, she wears a red mask around her eyes with yellow and black outline at the base of the sides. Her eyes also get golden with a yellow sclerae.
Kagami is a stern, thoughtful, and adaptive Japanese girl who is dedicated to accomplishing any commitment she makes. Likewise, she can be somewhat reluctant and quite stubborn, willing to go out and take risks regardless of what is at stake for her as she is an aggressive fencer that she will taunt her opponent during the fight. While she doesn't like to lose due to her competitive nature, she downplays her upset feelings and respects her rivals. However, Kagami is a very hospitable and determined individual who learns from her mistakes, knowing there are times she isn't the winner. She also forms a friendship with Adrien Agreste after they both approach each other and solve their conflict professionally, suggesting an understanding, calm, and objective side.
In "Frozer", Kagami comes across as blunt and willing to speak her mind, telling Philippe that she did not want to take skating lessons multiple times, and even speaking for Adrien when asked. Her bluntness is also evident when she advises Marinette Dupain-Cheng to stop hesitating.
Kagami also a bit of a habit of jumping to conclusions seen in "Oni-Chan", when she saw a picture of Adrien and Lila Rossi together quickly assuming she was the girl he told her about in "Frozer". In the same episode, it is revealed that Kagami can be quite emotive and rage-prone in spite of her composed exterior.
In "Ikari Gozen", Kagami, like Lila, is a bit lonely as she always wanted friends but unlike Lila, she isn't willing to lie to get them as she admitted to Ladybug that she doesn't have any friends. And yet, she was willing to reach out to Marinette in an attempt to be friends with her. However, much like when Adrien started studying at school and making new friends, Kagami, because of Tomoe Tsurugi (her mother), doesn't know much about how to bond with others. As it is shown when she tried to befriend Marinette, only resulting in awkward moments, and using an app about how to make friends.As Ryuko, she is a quick learner, but a bit of a loner as she tried to defeat Ikari Gozen on her own but learned she can't handle everything on her own. However, she is also a little revealing as she told her mother in her akumatized form (and by extension to Hawk Moth) her identity. Despite that, she is also understanding and respectful towards Ladybug, giving up the Dragon Miraculous indefinitely because of the fact that her identity was revealed to Hawk Moth to what will lead to her loves ones to be in danger showing her caring side.
As Riposte, she is furiously obsessed with getting a rematch with Adrien and winning it, even if he is in no condition to fight due to his injured ankle, and she considers people that she views as not being good enough fighters as not being worthy, such as Ladybug. Riposte is also arrogant and doesn't have a problem with outright attacking her opponents when they have no chance of defending themselves. However, despite this, she follows Hawk Moth's commands without question, even if they conflict with her own goals.
As Oni-Chan, she is obsessed with tracking down Lila and getting her to renounce Adrien in order to have Adrien be hers.
As a civilian
Kagami is extremely skilled in fencing, both in defensive and offensive movements. She is also very agile, doing several acrobatic feats while dueling. In "Frozer", she considers archery a "noble art" alongside fencing, so it is possible she also excels at it, though it has yet to be shown. Kagami is also notably skilled in ice skating, proficient enough to do a combination spin, even though she only does it "just for fun".
Riposte wields a sword in combat and as her sword is directly attached to her hand, so it is impossible to remove it. She uses the sword to strike at incredible speeds and slice through any material. She can create shock waves with her sword to slice objects from a distance. Also, she is capable of leaping great distances, and she is durable, quickly recovering from having an entire chimney collapse on her.
Besides possessing heightened abilities, like speed, strength and agility, Oni-Chan possesses a sword that can wield powerful red energy. When she touches someone with that sword, they grow a horn like hers. The horn seemingly works as a cell tower, and sends messages to anyone with a mobile phone that is near the person with the horn, allowing her to trade places with the ones who get her messages and continually track said person as a result. However, it would appear that Oni-Chan doesn't have full control over this power, as she wasn't able to prevent her from trading places with a firefighter when she was about to take Ladybug's Miraculous or trading places with Ladybug who was tied up to a light post. Another effect of the horn is that, when the person afflicted with it lies, the horn grows bigger.
Ryuko has super enhanced skills, such as speed, agility, and strength, and she is almost invulnerable to physical damage. Her natural ability in wielding a sword is also enhanced.Her special superpower of the elements allows her to transform into one of three elements imbued in the Dragon Miraculous: water, air, and lightning. So long as the superpower is not used the wielder can sustain the transformation indefinitely, however, once all three elemental transformations are used she only has about five minutes before she transforms back.
= Gender Unknown
Kagami first meets Adrien when she tryouts for a spot in fencing school. She fences with him and is distraught when she mistakenly believes that she lost, though she keeps her feelings to herself and even shakes his hand. Though Adrien offers her a decisive match, she sadly rejects the offer. However, once akumatized as Riposte, she targets Adrien, wanting a rematch with him at all costs. When she is deakumatized, she befriends him and agrees to eventually have a decisive match.
In "Frozer", she shows great concern for him when she notices how down he is. When Adrien tells her about his love issues, Kagami advises him to change his target. She accompanies him to the ice rink and after Frozer's defeat, when Adrien tells her that he has decided not to change targets, Kagami respects his wishes but tells him that she'll be waiting for him when he gives up.
In “Animaestro”, Kagami is happy to see Adrien at the movie premiere, but she becomes jealous upon noticing Marinette and Chloé, aware that they both also like Adrien. According to Mrs. Tsurugi, Kagami talks a lot about him. In "Oni-Chan", it is shown that Kagami really has strong feelings for Adrien as she flies into a bitter rage after seeing a photo of Lila kissing Adrien, leading to her akumatization.
She is unaware of Adrien's double life as Cat Noir. During "Riposte", she is very angry that along with Ladybug that he's protecting Adrien and an inferior opponent. In "Oni-Chan", she calls the hero inferior to his civilian alter ego and is furious when he compares himself to Adrien. After she is deakumatized, Kagami gladly accepts back the rose he gives her.
Kagami doesn't know Marinette too well, but when Adrien tells her about her, she says that she hopes to get to know her better. In "Frozer", she advises Marinette to stop hesitating in order to stop slipping on the ice rink. In "Animaestro", she treats Marinette hostility due to her crush on Adrien.
Like Adrien, she is also unaware of Marinette's double life as Ladybug. As Riposte, she finds her inferior as an opponent. After being deakumatized, she is in awe at the sight of the heroine. As Oni-Chan, she is furious when she tries to stop her from hurting Lila.
In "Animaestro", it is revealed that Chloé and Kagami hate each other due to the former's crush on Adrien.
Although Lila behaves as if she didn't know who Kagami is by seeing her in one of Adrien's photos, it is likely that she actually knows her, since Lila has Kagami as a contact on her phone. But when Kagami sees a picture of Lila kissing Adrien in "Oni-Chan", she flies into a jealous rage towards her, quickly assuming she's the girl Adrien loves. As Oni-Chan, she tries to get Lila to renounce him, and constantly pursues and threatens her in order to make her do so.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Absent|
|1. "Santa Claws":||Absent||14. "Frightningale":||Absent|
|2. "The Collector":||Absent||15. "Syren":||Absent|
|3. "Prime Queen":||Absent||16. "Zombizou":||Absent|
|4. "Despair Bear":||Absent||17. "Frozer":||Appears|
|5. "Riposte":||Appears||18. "Style Queen":||Absent|
|6. "Befana":||Absent||19. "Troublemaker":||Absent|
|7. "Robostus":||Absent||20. "Queen Wasp":||Absent|
|8. "The Dark Owl":||Absent||21. "Reverser":||Absent|
|9. "Gigantitan":||Absent||22. "Anansi":||Absent|
|10. "Glaciator":||Absent||23. "Malediktator":||Absent|
|11. "Sapotis":||Absent||24. "Sandboy":||Absent|
|12. "Gorizilla":||Absent||25. "Catalyst":||Background|
|13. "Captain Hardrock":||Absent||26. "Mayura":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Absent|
|1. "Chameleon":||Absent||?. "Reflekdoll":||Absent|
|2. "Animaestro":||Appears||?. "Desperada":||Appears|
|3. "Bakerix":||Absent||?. "Startrain":||Absent|
|4. "Backwarder":||Appears||?. "Kwamibuster":||Unknown|
|5. "Gamer 2.0":||Appears||?. "Feast":||Unknown|
|6. "Weredad":||Absent||?. "Stormy Weather 2":||Flashback|
|7. "Silencer":||Absent||?. "Timetagger":||Absent|
|8. "Oni-Chan":||Appears||?. "Ikari Gozen":||Appears|
|9. "Miraculer":||Absent||?. "Cat Blanc":||Unknown|
|10. "Oblivio":||Absent||?. "Félix":||Unknown|
|11. "Party Crasher":||Absent||?. "Ladybug":||Absent|
|12. "Christmaster":||Absent||25. "Loveater":||Will Appear|
|13. "The Puppeteer 2":||Absent||26. "Miracle Queen":||Unknown|
- The name Kagami means "mirror".
- In the Brazilian dub version, her name is changed to Kyoko, in which the name Kyoko means "mirror".
- In the Italian dub version, her name is changed to Katami, in which the name Katami could possibly mean "memento" or "souvenir".
- The kanji Kata means "martial arts" in Japanese, which is also a reference to "Katana", a Japanese sword. The name Katami also has a secondary meaning, which is "remember" or "I remember".
- Kagami's surname Tsurugi is a type of Japanese sword.
- In Japanese culture, the Yata no Kagami is a sacred mirror and symbol of truth or wisdom (as mirrors only reflect what is shown); the Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi is a legendary sword that represents the virtue of valor. Both are one of the three Imperial Regalia of Japan, along with the Yasakani-no-Magatama, a sacred jewel that represents benevolence.
- Kagami was revealed on a Season 2 synopsis from TFOU on August 31, 2017.
- She was teased as a new inhabitant of Paris in a Brazilian synopsis for Season 2 on O Universo da TV.
- In the Latin American Spanish dub, Kagami's name is changed to Agami. An Agamí (with a slight spelling change; an accent on the i) is a South American bird with black plumage and blue reflections.
- She was teased as a new inhabitant of Paris in a Brazilian synopsis for Season 2 on O Universo da TV.
- Feri González noted that both Kagami and Luka Couffaine are "charming, rounded characters", who are not limited to roles as alternate love interests.
- Kagami's akumatized form was first revealed in a promotional video for Season 2 from TFOU.
- In fencing, the word "riposte" refers to a quick return thrust following a parry.
- A colloquial use of the word refers to a quick, witty retort to an insult or criticism. Another definition related to this is a "retaliatory maneuver or measure."
- As of "Frozer", like Plagg, Kagami is the only person that knows Adrien is in love with someone else. But unlike Plagg, she is unaware that Adrien is in love with Ladybug, who is actually Marinette Dupain-Cheng.
- Scarlet Riposte reappears in the two-part special event "Heroes' Day".
- Kagami is the fifth character to be akumatized into a different akumatized villain identity and both of these villains are Japanese-themed.
- Kagami is the only member of the French Miraculous superhero team whose not native to France.
- She is the fourth known person of Japanese origins to wield a Miraculous succeeding her Miraculous predecessors Tomoe Gozen, Tentomushi, and Sasuke Sarutobi.
- But unlike Marinette and her origin Miraculous predecessors who all owned the same jewel (the Ladybug Miraculous), they all owned different Miraculous jewels.
- She is the second superhero whose civilian identity is known by Hawk Moth, with the first being Chloé Bourgeois as Queen Bee.
- But unlike Chloé, Kagami's identity is not known by the public.
- Despite Tomoe Tsurugi (Kagami's mother) knew as well her superhero identity, she was akumatized when Kagami became Ryuko and once she reverted back to normal she forgot all about it.
- The name Ryuko means "dragon" (龍/竜) (ryuu) and "child" (子) (ko), which is a common ending for Japanese girl names.
- Ryuko is one of the few superheroes whose eyes are known to change when transformed, with her eyes becoming golden with yellow sclerae. The others are Cat Noir whose eyes are green on green sclerae and Mayura who have eyes with pink irises and scleras that are pink which fade into dark indigo.
- Kagami is the first known character to use the Dragon Miraculous by itself.
- As mentioned in "Ikari Gozen," Kagami's blood type is an "O" and her Chinese Zodiac sign is Dragon, meaning she is a few months or a year older than Marinette whose Chinese Zodiac sign is Snake.
- In "blood type personality theory", a pseudoscientific Japanese belief, those with type-O blood are said to be "confident, self-determined, ambitious, competitive, and athletic", but also "unpredictable, self-centered, cold, aggressive, arrogant, and envious."
- Kagami has the peculiarity of sharing the same animal in her Chinese Zodiac and the Miraculous she uses.
- Kagami is the seventh person to become an akumatized villain and a Miraculous holder, excluding Gabriel Agreste, who akumatized himself.
Click here to view the gallery.