|“||My dad's pranking me, right? Wait, he couldn't be. He has no sense of humor.||”|
Gabriel Agreste is a famous fashion designer who creates and owns the brand Gabriel. He is also the husband of Emilie Agreste and the father of Adrien Agreste.  With the Butterfly Miraculous, when inhabited by Nooroo, Gabriel transforms into Hawk Moth (Le Papillon in the French version, which translates to "The Butterfly"), who is the main antagonist of Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir. He wants Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculouses for himself in order to obtain absolute power and grant his secret wish that Adrien does not know about. To achieve his goals, he creates and controls the akumas, black and purple butterflies infected with evil who can transform normal people with negative emotions into supervillains.
In "The Collector", in order to avoid the suspicion of being Hawk Moth, he akumatizes himself into the Collector, a supervillain who has the power to imprison any person or object within his magical notebook.
Gabriel is tall with combed-back light blond hair and blue eyes.
He wears black-framed silver glasses. He has a white dress shirt underneath a silver vest with red buttons and a cream-colored dress jacket, along with a red-and-white striped tie. He also wears red dress pants and white shoes with red laces. On the middle finger of his left hand, he has a silver band ring.
As Hawk Moth
Hawk Moth wears a dark purple dress shirt with a black butterfly-shaped lapel, the Butterfly Miraculous brooch on the center of the collar, and black dress pants. Over the majority of his face and neck, he wears a silver mask. Whenever he is controlling someone with an akuma, a bright purple butterfly-shaped outline appears on his face and around his eyes. He also has a dark indigo cane as the tool of his Miraculous.
As the Collector
The Collector's skin is pale purple. His hair sticks up in a point and is white with black vertical stripes, however, along with the back of his head and his neck is black. He wears a black dress suit with a white lapel, stiff shoulders, and black and red downward-bent stripes on the front. Each lower sleeve has a white stripe, and the Collector's hands have white gloves. Also, he wears black dress pants. His high heel boots are connected to his body suit, and they are black with black and white striped heels.
As Scarlet Moth
His outfit remains the same as Hawk Moth but the outfit is colored burgundy-red due to the enhancement from Catalyst. His mask and the Butterfly Miraculous are also colored red.
Gabriel comes off as a cold, harsh, and very strict man. He is very protective of his son Adrien, having kept him home for most of his life, although having a distant relationship with him. Despite this, he can also be respectful and kind at times, especially when needing to act professionally. According to Adrien in "Adrien's Double Life", ever since the disappearance of his wife, he is a changed man. He misses his wife greatly, and he sometimes has to be reminded not to forget that his son is also grieving. While he does seem to genuinely care for Adrien, this is often in a possessive way, with Gabriel not wanting anything bad to happen to him and making executive decisions about how to keep his son safe without considering how he may feel, such as in "The Bubbler", when he unjustly deems Nino Lahiffe a bad influence for Adrien and forbids him from coming to his home ever again. He also strongly dislikes taking orders from anyone, even if they are from people who are trying to help and protect him, such as Ladybug and Cat Noir.
As Hawk Moth, he is cold, cunning, and determined. His goal is to claim the Ladybug and Cat Miraculouses to gain their absolute power necessary to achieve his dearest secret wish, not caring if he causes people harm in the process. However, he can be merciful with those he cares about, such as in "Gorizilla", when he orders the supevillain to drop Ladybug in order to save Adrien who is falling off the building. He is also aware of the equivalent exchange drawback of making a wish with the Miraculouses, every wish having a reaction to maintain balance in the universe, but it doesn't appear to bother him. His akumatized villains are his most powerful known weapon, and he chooses his victims carefully and cleverly, usually people who are emotionally at their weakest, giving them ideas if they're struggling to think one up. He is a skilled liar and manipulator, persuading people that he cares about their problems and giving them powers to help solve them when in reality, he does so because he wants them to retrieve the Miraculouses for him. If things aren't going his way, he easily loses his patience, threatening harm to Ladybug, Cat Noir, and even to the villains he creates. After a villain's defeat, Hawk Moth determinedly vows revenge and, while stopping for a while afterward, doesn't wait too long to try again with his akumas.
He is obsessed with finding a way to save his wife, but is willing to give up his evil ways to protect Adrien from being caught in the crossfire or being targeted by the villains he creates. Nonetheless, as shown in “Sandboy”, when he tells Nooroo that he’s going to kidnap the kwami friends of the latter as a gift, it’s evident that he has become power-hungry due to being Hawk Moth for a long time and has gotten addicted to yearning power to the extreme degree that he’ll grasp every opportunity to seize the power in order to have easier access on stealing the Ladybug Miraculous and Cat Miraculous, therefore explaining why he decides to return his villain position in “Queen Wasp”.
He also has a bit of a habit of celebrating too soon when the heroes get weaken by his many akumatized villains, thinking it will get him closer to the heroes’ Miraculouses, showing that he can be hasty and impatient, blinded by the prospect of victory.
In "Heroes' Day", he showed that he is willing to use dirty or unfair tactics such as when he used sheer numbers to wear the superheroes down and resorting to surprise attacks. Despite that, he proved to be a brilliant strategist and tactician.
As a civilian
Gabriel is an expert at designing fashions for clothes, accessories, and jewelry. Additionally, owning the Gabriel brand, he is well-versed at running a business, including solving problems by phone concerning design issues once shown in the episode Volpina and presenting himself professionally in front of others.
As Hawk MothDespite the fact that he doesn't often fight directly, Hawk Moth is a capable sword fighter, being able to defend himself and destroy miniature missiles from his own lair's defense protocol with his swordstick. Even without being transformed, Hawk Moth's Miraculous allows him to feeling negative emotions like an empath, so he can precisely pinpoint the person's name and the reason why they are sad or angry. Furthermore, Hawk Moth can control many akumas to form a swarm that makes a large version of his head, which he can speak through.
Hawk Moth's main superpower is Akumatization, corrupting butterflies with dark energy which transforms them into akumas and then sending them out to possess an object of a vulnerable person. If they agree to serve him, he transforms them into supervillains by corrupting their personalities and granting them a wide variety of superpowers or special abilities. He can also telepathically communicate with his "winners", a pink butterfly-shaped outline appears in front of his and the villains' faces when he does so. However, Hawk Moth is only able to create one villain at a time over the course of an indeterminate amount of time, needs to convince his victims to accept the powers that he grants, and the akumatized supervillains that he creates do still have a will of their own and can either disobey him or carry out his orders incompetently. For a brief amount of time though, he can control the villain's body and make them feel intense pain, preventing the person from doing anything if they are starting to stray from his commands.
When an akuma isn't purified by Ladybug, it will multiply and turn other people into frozen copies of the original akumatized villain. Hawk Moth can recall and trap the original akuma in the top of his cane in order to release it again when the victim gets sad or angry once more. This turns the victim into the same akumatized villain, but it also unfreezes the copies of them, which the original villain can command and control. However, once the original akuma is de-evilized, its copies vanish, reverting the duplicates of the villain back to normal.
As The Collector
The Collector is able to trap objects and people in the form of drawings inside his notebook. He throws the notebook like a boomerang, and while the notebook can go very far distances, once it captures something or someone by hitting them, it returns to him wherever he is. He can also utilize the notebook as a shield against projectiles, opening the book, either holding it sturdily or waving it around, so it traps the object being thrown towards him. Anything it passes through is trapped no matter how big it is. However, there is a limit to how much can be absorbed, as shown when Ladybug used a makeshift conveyor belt to launch a barrage of Adrien's CDs at him, and he used his book to absorb them. When he then tried to absorb Ladybug, he found that the book's pages were all full and could not absorb anything more.
Additionally, The Collector is quick and agile, easily flipping, jumping, and dodging attacks.
As Scarlet Moth
When Catalyst enhanced his powers, he became Scarlet Moth. He can inject dark energy into butterflies with his cane and he can make as many akumas as he desires. The akumas are also colored red, instead of dark purple.
When an akuma infects an object that a person is holding, it directly transforms the infected person to their former supervillain identities. The main difference being the villain gains a red themed outfit just like scarlet moth. While communicating to a villain(s), a red colored butterfly mask appears both of them, instead of a purple one. It also looks like Scarlet Moth can directly order them what to do, overcoming the independence the akumatized villains normally have, as seen in Catalyst.
= Gender Unknown
- Emilie Agreste mysteriously disappeared before the events of Season 1. In "Style Queen" and "Queen Wasp", it was revealed that she is underneath the Agreste Mansion in the same room seen in "Gorizilla", inside a coffin in what appears to be a comatose state.
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "The Bubbler":||Appears||14. "Princess Fragrance":||Appears|
|2. "Mr. Pigeon":||Appears||15. "Ladybug & Cat Noir":||Appears|
|3. "Stormy Weather":||Appears||16. "Stoneheart":||Appears|
|4. "Timebreaker":||Appears||17. "Animan":||Appears|
|5. "Copycat":||Appears||18. "Simon Says":||Appears|
|6. "The Pharaoh":||Appears||19. "Pixelator":||Appears|
|7. "Lady Wifi":||Appears||20. "Guitar Villain":||Appears|
|8. "The Evillustrator":||Appears||21. "Kung Food":||Appears|
|9. "Rogercop":||Appears||22. "Gamer":||Appears|
|10. "Dark Cupid":||Appears||23. "Reflekta":||Appears|
|11. "Horrificator":||Appears||24. "The Puppeteer":||Appears|
|12. "Darkblade":||Appears||25. "Antibug":||Appears|
|13. "The Mime":||Appears||26. "Volpina":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "Santa Claws":||Appears||14. "Frightningale":||Appears|
|2. "The Collector":||Appears||15. "Syren":||Appears|
|3. "Prime Queen":||Appears||16. "Zombizou":||Appears|
|4. "Despair Bear":||Appears||17. "Frozer":||Appears|
|5. "Riposte":||Appears||18. "Style Queen":||Appears|
|6. "Befana":||Appears||19. "Troublemaker":||Appears|
|7. "Robostus":||Appears||20. "Queen Wasp":||Appears|
|8. "The Dark Owl":||Appears||21. "Reverser":||Appears|
|9. "Gigantitan":||Appears||22. "Anansi":||Appears|
|10. "Glaciator":||Appears||23. "Malediktator":||Appears|
|11. "Sapotis":||Appears||24. "Sandboy":||Appears|
|12. "Gorizilla":||Appears||25. "Catalyst":||Appears|
|13. "Captain Hardrock":||Appears||26. "Mayura":||Appears|
|Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir Theme Song:||Appears|
|1. "Chameleon":||Appears||14. "Startrain":||Will Appear|
|2. "Weredad":||Appears||15. "Kwami Buster":||Will Appear|
|3. "Christmaster":||Appears||16. "Feast":||Will Appear|
|4. "Backwarder":||Appears||17. "Gamer 2.0":||Will Appear|
|5. "Stormy Weather 2":||Appears||18. "Ikari Gozen":||Will Appear|
|6. "Animaestro":||Will Appear||19. "Timetagger":||Will Appear|
|7. "Bakerix":||Will Appear||20. "Party Crasher":||Will Appear|
|8. "Onichan":||Will Appear||21. "The Puppeteer 2":||Will Appear|
|9. "Silencer":||Will Appear||22. "Cat Blanc":||Will Appear|
|10. "Reflektdoll":||Will Appear||23. "Félix":||Will Appear|
|11. "Miraculer":||Will Appear||24. "Ladybug":||Will Appear|
|12. "Oblivio":||Will Appear||25. "Loveater":||Will Appear|
|13. "Desperada":||Will Appear||26. "Miracle Queen":||Will Appear|
|"Marinette in Paris":||Absent||"Marinette and Adrien":||Appears|
|"Marinette and Fashion":||Appears||"Master Fu":||Absent|
|"Ladybug as seen by Adrien":||Absent||"Tikki":||Absent|
|"Adrien's Double Life":||Appears||"Friends":||Absent|
|"Marinette and Alya":||Absent||"Nino":||Will Appear|
|"Marinette's Double Life":||Background||"Max":||Absent|
|"Cat Noir as seen by Marinette":||Absent||"Mylène":||Absent|
|"My Birthday Party":||Absent||"Rose":||Absent|
Comics and books
|"Issue 1":||Appears||"Issue 5":||Unknown|
|"Issue 2":||Appears||"Issue 6":||Unknown|
|"Issue 3":||Cover Only||"Issue 7":||Unknown|
|"Issue 4":||Absent||"Issue 8":||Unknown|
|Other Comics & Books|
|Ladybug Artbook:||Appears||Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug:||Unknown|
|Miraculous: Tales of Cat Noir:||Unknown||Tales of Miraculous:||Unknown|
|Super Lady Luck:||Pictured||Miraculous Mission Ladybug:||Absent|
|Throwdown!:||Appears||Ladybug Contra os Vilões:||Pictured|
|Miraculous Ladybug & Cat Noir:||Pictured|
|The Mini Menace Ladybug:||Absent||Ladybug PV:||Appears|
|First CGI promotional videos:||Absent||Korean musical:||Appears|
- Gabriel is named after Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel, who created the French designer brand, Chanel.
- Gabriel is Marinette Dupain-Cheng's role model as she hopes to be a great fashion designer just like him.
- Gabriel admires Marinette's talent this is shown when in "Queen Wasp" Gabriel praises Marinette when explaining to Audrey.
- Gabriel's phone number as listed in Adrien's phone contacts is +33678424.
- In "The Evillustrator", Chloé Bourgeois bribes Sabrina Raincomprix by using a beret that Gabriel Agreste designed.
- Gabriel has a secret safe behind the painting of Emilie Agreste in his atelier. It contains the Peacock Miraculous, a picture of Emilie Agreste, tickets for Tibet, and a book about the Miraculouses.
- In "Volpina", Adrien takes the Miraculous book, unbeknownst to Gabriel, and the book eventually ends up in Marinette's hands. Once he discovers that it’s missing in "The Collector", he, despite having the book's pages saved digitally, becomes very angry and punishes Adrien, most likely due to the book making him the primary suspect for being Hawk Moth.
- The painting of Emilie Agreste also conceals another secret — access to the entrance to Hawk Moth's lair. The passage opens when certain spots of the painting are pressed. This has been shown in the Season 2 episodes "The Collector" and "Gorizilla".
- Hawk Moth is also called "Butterfly" in other early sources.
- In the Castilian Spanish version, Hawk Moth's name is Lepidóptero, which comes from the scientific order called Lepidoptera, which contains all butterflies and moths.
- Hawk Moth's appearance is very different from his appearance in the Ladybug PV. In the PV, he doesn't wear a mask, has white hair and silver eyes, and wears a white dress suit with a pale tan vest and bow.
- After sending an akuma, he rotates his staff with his left hand, which possibly indicates he's left-handed.
- Both the butterfly and the moth symbolize change or personal evolution. This is likely in connection with his ability to corrupt and transform others into his henchmen.
- The design of Hawk Moth's mask is a reference to the supervillain Fantômas from the 1964 French film with the same name.
- As revealed in "The Dark Owl", Hawk Moth's intentions for getting Ladybug and Cat Noir's Miraculouses is to change a past event.
- Hawk Moth usually reveals his name to his victims when he corrupts them. However, he never gave out his name to the Evillustrator or Darkblade.
- As seen in episodes like "Darkblade", "Antibug" and "Princess Fragrance", Hawk Moth has the time and ability to akumatize more than one person a day, even though it is not more than one person each time.
- In "Timebreaker", however, he is able to twice akumatize Alix for the two of them to operate concurrently, by virtue of the timeline of events being altered by her time-traveling ability.
- He can take away the power of his akumatized villains and cause them pain, which gives him leverage, though the ability was originally meant to be a fail-safe if the akumatized hero's power was used wrongly or for evil.
- This power is first seen in use in the episode "Catalyst".
- He sometimes uses puns, such as telling the akuma in "The Evillustrator" to "draw [Nathaniel] into our evil web."
- Gabriel is one of the tallest characters in the series.
- In some dubs, Gabriel and Hawk Moth have different voice actors. Examples are the Brazilian Portuguese, Polish, Hebrew, and Hungarian dubs.
- In "Volpina", Adrien confuses a previous owner of the Butterfly Miraculous for Hawk Moth upon seeing his picture in the Miraculous spellbook.
- Wilfried Pain has confirmed that Hawk Moth also has an origin story.
- According to the Miraculous Ladybug San Diego Comic-Con 2016 panel and Los Angeles Comic Con 2016 panel, Hawk Moth will team up with another recurring villain in Season 3, doubling him as a threat.
- Also, in the former panel, it was revealed that Hawk Moth might be scared of someone for once.
- Despite his transformation sequence showing Gabriel removing his tie, when he detransforms in "The Collector" his tie is present.
- The episode "Catalyst" marks the first time Hawk Moth appears outside of his lair, While "Mayura" marks the first time he directly fights Ladybug and Cat Noir.
- The episode "Mayura" confirms that Hawk Moth can stay transformed even after using his power.
Click here to view the gallery.